Can't decide on a child seat.

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
I suspect someone has asked this question on the forum before, if so I'll apoligize now.

I have a decision between two child seats either

http://www.lessthan.co.uk/Child-Seats/c ... a97349b300

or

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Hamax/Child-Bi ... S535S.html

The first one has a 5 point harness but I have never heard of Avensis

The second is a brand I know and have been recommended but it only has 3 point harness.

Otherwise all the specs are the same.

Anyone used either of these or have some suggestions.

I ride a Specialized Rockhopper Pro so I cant use any of the seats that attach on the back wheel unfortunatley.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    I've not used either of those seats, but having had a Rhode Gear Limo for a number of years now (onto child number two) I would choose the seat that has more side protection for the child. Looking at the seats you have linked to I would say that was the Hamax.

Ian
  • Noel PT
    Hmmm, thats true side protection is important.And it rather spare on both. I do like the limo but it wont fit on my bike.

I can't seem to find any with more side protection but still attach to the down tube.

catch 22, really!
  • Noel PT
    Well for anyone thats interested I just found a bracket that allows you to use the Co Pilot on disc brake bikes! Its an additional £22, so I am gonna have to give it some thought, but a great option considering how much better the Co Pilot is.
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    I can't recommend the Co-pilot Limo enough. Although you never intend to crash with it, we did when we had a front tyre blowout on our tandem. While myself and my wife had grazed elbows and knees, our son was completely unscathed - a bit of a shock for him though!
  • Noel PT
    yip, gotta admit. I been procrastinating with buying the seat because I couldnt fit the limo to my bike,and I didn't wanna settle for any of the other makes. But now that I found the frame I am trying to find a second hand one if possible. But I might have to just cought up the the cash in the end. £89 + £22 for the bracket is alot. but I think its worth it.
  • I know this may be a bit belated my radar is not working so well, if you are having trouble finding a seat to fit your bike there is a new saddle coming to the market this spring that fits all a head set bikes without clamping to the frame. Its not a strap in like the traditional seat carriers but it is flexible and fits Full Sus. My kids 2 and 4 love it because they ride the bike and I use it on my 04 FS enduro; check out loct.co.uk. I guarantee you have'nt seen this before the video itself is worth a look.
  • Check out Halfords - I say this because the Halfords seat I have is identical to a certain Hamax model (I believe it's a Sleepy) so you might find a different price. A look at ebay might not go amiss either - I got mine there for under half price inc. delivery.

Very good for our needs (nursery and park) in its time but the babe has outgrown so she's on her own two wheels now - remember the 20kg limit.

FWIW I think they're great to get kids used to the sensations of riding in traffic.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I also have a Rockhopper Pro and yesterday bought and attached the Hamax Siesta. Cost £80 (and £15 additional for a second bracket), from LBS although could have gotten it a bit cheaper off Wiggle. Took the wee fella out for his first ride in the park and it must have been comfortable because he slept through most of it.

Opted for the Hamax over the Co-Pilot because:

a) meant I didn't need a bike rack; and

b) owner of the LBS has a kid the same age as our boy and he uses the Siesta

If you haven't already invested, I can heartily recommend the Hamax option - the recline feature is a good one, as is the recess at the top of the seat which accommodates the helmet. Don't worry about the harness buckle - it is difficult enough to undo as an adult, let alone by inquisitive fingers!