New to road riding

doobie919
doobie919 Posts: 119
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hey y'all i'm Sean and i'm from Cambridge. I've got a Fuji Newest 3.0
http://fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=411

I've been in the MTB scene for a while, but veyr new to road riding.

Looking for weak points on my road bike that could use some upgrading over time. Most important for me is the seat and rear deraileur and seatpost as well.

Are there XT shimano rear mechs for the road world? And also I would like to upgrade brakes, what would be a good brake set up?
2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
!!Upgrades!!!!!
Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
!!Upgrades!!!!!
Sky blue tires
New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)

Comments

• doobie919
    Oh also for anyone in the Cambridge area, what's a good bike shop around to get parts and clothing from? I've found billys before, but that's only BMX and skate and that kind of stuff.

What are some good road shops with a fairly large stock of parts and jerseys and other clothing places, in or around Cambridge.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • Hi Doobie -I'm also from cambridge. Your best bet for high end bike stuff is The City Cycle centre in Ely. Selling all the good Italian and Assos stuff. Super friendly and helpful - Mark really knows his stuff. Plus they have a really good mechanic. They'd be my first point of call.

And then after that try Howes bikes in the centre of cambridge on the station road. Walk through the centre as if going to the New John Lewis and keep walking its pretty much right at the end of the road on the righ. they do loads of Specialized buits and pieces so if you want to change your saddle I'd recommend a Toupe.

Both shops have a good range of spares and stock Shimano stuff so any upgrades will be well accomodated.

Look out for you on the road!

Gats
  • doobie919
    Hi Doobie -I'm also from cambridge. Your best bet for high end bike stuff is The City Cycle centre in Ely. Selling all the good Italian and Assos stuff. Super friendly and helpful - Mark really knows his stuff. Plus they have a really good mechanic. They'd be my first point of call.

And then after that try Howes bikes in the centre of cambridge on the station road. Walk through the centre as if going to the New John Lewis and keep walking its pretty much right at the end of the road on the righ. they do loads of Specialized buits and pieces so if you want to change your saddle I'd recommend a Toupe.

Both shops have a good range of spares and stock Shimano stuff so any upgrades will be well accomodated.

Look out for you on the road!

Gats

How far from town is Ely? In terms of biking distance. The directions for howes are a little unclear, are they in that new shopping centre right by the bus station? It's been over a year since i've been there.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    doobie919 wrote:
    Are there XT shimano rear mechs for the road world?

Well no reason you can't use them, got one on my road bike at the moment so i can fit a massive cassette on the back to go with my compact (should of just got a tripple lol)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    On budget bikes the wheels are often the weakest link. They are unlikely to be very light, well built or long lasting, but you may as well get some use out of them. Tyres are often poor as well. Wheels and tyres are most likely to improve the bike rather than changes to the groupset, as long as its working fine.

You have a Sora rear mech which should work fine for years. The roadie equivalent of XT is Ultegra, but I don't think you will get a very noticeable performance advantage from swapping - best to use it till it wears out I reckon. I would think the shifting "experience" is more influenced by the shifters and the condition of the cables. Sora shifters are "low rent" but may work fine. Replacing the shifters for Tiagra / 105 / Ultegra will cost upwards of £100, again, not worth it if they are working okay.

The standard seat supplied with bikes rarely seems to suit, but recommending a seat is a minefield as we are all different, but for what its worth, have a look at the Specialized Alias / Avatar / Toupe models (and get your sit bones measured on the "assometer" in a Specialized shop).
  • Ely from cambs is about 15miles - best bet go through arbury, histon, cottenham, up 20p road to wilburton, left towards haddenham and then right at the junction. Its really easy. If you're feeling brave hope on the A10 it'll take you straigh there.

Howes ok - Know where the Next is in cambs? Imagine you're looking at it straight on turn right and head towards the Eat on the corner. Walk passed that and on to the road that has the Post Office on it opposite Bank and H&M. Keep walking there's the John lewis on the right. Keep walking passed the road that revolution vodka bar is on, passed Nando's and keep walking. Then comes Cancom - the Apple store - kepp walking and its just up the road on the right. SOunds far but its about a 5 minute walk from the Next.

Gats
  • doobie919
    Ok I think I know where howes is now. I know the Revolution Vodka bar, if it's the same place i'm thinking of then I know exactly where it is.

For me going anywhere in Cambridge is a short distance, even arbury to newnham. The town I live in America is spread out so i'll easily go 20 miles just to get to a friends house.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

!!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires