What computer?

cbradley1982
cbradley1982 Posts: 10
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Does anyone know of a wireless cycle computer they would recommend? Can you get computers that work on the rear wheel so i can use it on my turbo trainer?
Orange Five '10

Comments

• davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    I have a £12 jobby from the LBS on my winter hack which is ok. It's all wired up and I think it would reach to the rear wheel. Does time, speed and distance.

Om my summer bike (Trek) I went for a polar cad300 with heart rate, cadence and all the speed/distance stuff. its great and I would recommend you go down this path if you can afford it. Somebody on here (own up, whoever you are) told me it could be used on the back wheel but I don't think it would.

Can anybody prove me wrong????

David
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've just fitted a Cateye Vista wireless computer to my bike. The instructions state that the the transmitter should be no more than 70cm from the display; I should think that range is typical (you don't want to receive a riding companion's signal, do you?) and that would be a bit of a stretch to the rear wheel.

The Vista has limited features but all I'm really interested in is distance and trip distance so that's fine for me. As a pal of mine said as regards speed -"I'm either going as fast as I can or as as fast as I want so why do I need to know what the actual speed is?" He did, however, use the speed function when he won the National 24 in 1991 - he free wheeled when it read more than 25mph :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Cateye Strada wireless.

Simple. Functional. Discrete

Time. Speed. Av' Speed. Max Speed. Distance. Distance 2 (good for counting weekly totals). Total distance

Again, might be a bit of a stretch to the back wheel but you could always fit it to the top tube when using it on the trainer.
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Have a look HERE

I can highly recommend the V3
  • Brilliant, thanks for all your help.
    Orange Five '10
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    COVEC wrote:
    Have a look HERE

I can highly recommend the V3
    You have a V3?
    I was thinking of one for my new bike but the couple of online stores I'd looked listed the product only available from March 15th.

Having said that I haven't even ordered the new bike yet so I haven't got anything to mount it on (not that that has stopped me from ordering the new pedals, bottles cages, tyres etc. :lol:).
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Lagavulin,

I picked it up on Friday from my LBS, I was in having a nosey earlier in the week and spotted the lower model that comes without the HRM feature and asked about the V3. He got it within 2 days, so they are on the streets and available.

COVEC
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    A little Hi-jacking here but on the same subject does any one have experience of the AMvic range of cordless computers, I quite like the look of the sender unit being incorporated with the skewer but have not actually seen anyone using them.

any feed back appreciated.
    fay ce que voudres
  • fnb1
    A little Hi-jacking here but on the same subject does any one have experience of the AMvic range of cordless computers, I quite like the look of the sender unit being incorporated with the skewer but have not actually seen anyone using them.

fay ce que voudres
  • fnb1

fay ce que voudres
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    3 hijacks to be exact!

I assume you mean Mavic?

I wanted the skewer one, but then it seemed to dissapear and be replaced by the Mavic E-Bolt - I haven't gotten around to fitting it yet though, may do so this weekend.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • disney
    disney Posts: 51
    I went to get a new battery for £2.99 and in Lidl the whole bike computer with battery was 'er' £2.99 !! Works better than my wireless cateye strada which I have just returned as faulty.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I got a Cateye Micro Wireless the other day and it's been working quite nicely. Had a bit of trouble setting it up but it's the first wireless computer I've fitted, just couldn't seem to get a signal for about 10 minutes but it might have been how I was testing it!

Had a look around online but couldn't find it considerably cheaper then then at Evans, once I factored in things like postage, so I dropped into my local store and got the last one!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I use that myself, reviewed It here that may be of interest

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

sean65 wrote:
    Cateye Strada wireless.

Simple. Functional. Discrete

Time. Speed. Av' Speed. Max Speed. Distance. Distance 2 (good for counting weekly totals). Total distance

Again, might be a bit of a stretch to the back wheel but you could always fit it to the top tube when using it on the trainer.
  • BernieG
    BernieG Posts: 27
    I went to get a new battery for £2.99 and in Lidl the whole bike computer with battery was 'er' £2.99 !! Works better than my wireless cateye strada which I have just returned as faulty.

When was this ?...are they in Lidl now ? :?:
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    They are in Lidl this week