Budget GPS - Garmin eTrex

Pat920
Pat920 Posts: 55
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
I've been toying with a budget GPS. I have organised a few tours, usually using Gmap and the Sustrans sites to get more interesting B-road and bridlepath routes. Last year someone brought along a GPS which was initially mocked but it took the hassle out of mapreading.
So I boughtt a Garmin eTrex on Amazon (£65) and a serial cable on offer from Evans (£20)(though I know you can get non-Garmin ones cheaper). There is a handle-bar mount as well.
The device is not a "SatNav" - there are no maps built in, but for anyone not wanting to spend the price of a new bike on a GPS system, it works remarkably well. I'm still playing around with Waypoints, Routes and Tracks. I'd be interested if anyone has good tips or resources to recommend.

Comments

• jkbs1
    jkbs1 Posts: 23
    I use a Garmin Etrex Venture CX with Memory Map which gives the facility to transfer routes from PC to GPS. If you want a greater level of detail Mapsource Topo UK will provide street names, contours, heights etc visible on the GPS too but I think you'd need a memory card for that.