What was I thinking about?

pjh
pjh Posts: 204
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Riding a nice 'down and up-the-other-side' hill this morning .... must have been day-dreaming and suddenly got the feeling I was in too low a gear and got the horrible sequence of thoughts/events ...

" .... ahh sh*t .... can I change quickly enough .... ahhh no .... bu**er ..... emmm....can I unclip quickly enough ..... ermmm .... aaarghh ..... phew yes just about! " :oops:

Stood half way up the hill with some chap standing on his driveway looking at me .... and I had to hand-crank the pedals into a lower gear :oops:

Mucho embarassment and mumbling as I re-mounted and struggled away!

Think I must be getting old or senile or both ... had a number of these kinds of things of late!! :D

It's great to be .....

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Hill? Peterborough? I thought the only place for driving test hill starts in the town was the railway bridge.

btw I assume you were in too HIGH a gear for the climb out. They can be awkward. I have to negotiate one less than a mile from home so I guess I get used to it - particularly as I had to ride that way every morning at about 6.45 on my way to work. When I worked, that is ;)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Geoff ... you're right ... too HIGH a gear .... you see what I mean ... senile as I said :)

Hills ... well yes I was out in Denethorpe (Northants) and there's a few once you cross the border from Cambs to Northants :D

It's great to be .....