single track in st leonards forest?

randomguy77
randomguy77 Posts: 33
edited March 2008 in MTB rides
I've found a bit but was wondering where the best stuff is in the forest?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi, Me & some friends regularly ride St Leonards on a Sunday morning & have recently stumbled across a cracking section of single track which is going to be great in the summer when it dries out a bit.

The best way to find it is to head up the wide straight gravel road that goes through the middle of forest until you reach the crossroads with a bench. Take the track on the right that leads down hill & keep looking out for a small path on your right into the trees. The path is probably about a mile or so long, with seom nice technical bits to it.

Would love to hear if this is the same section you have found?
  • Hi,
    Which way up the track do you go? from the Colgate end or the other near the golf course?

There are a few sections i have found, the first is right near the golf course end. If you are heading towards the golf course along the gravel track and reach the end, there are 3 paths one bridle way one footpath and one that isnt marked, take the unmarked one. Its flowing track with the odd technical section. Ends up at roostehole car park.

The second takes the left just before the end of the forest and then right off of that down the hill, just before the bottom there is a turn off the path to the left. pretty hard to spot but that peice runs alongside the stream and eventually back to a forest road.

The third is easiest to get to if you do the second, when you get to the road take a right and up there is path to the left, onto a cracking bit of track that is one mile long.

There are a couple of other bits me and my friend stumbled across on Saturday but cant remember how to get to them but they we right off the track if you were heading towards the golf course.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    You have found what some people refer to as 'Jewel in the Crown' I believe. Runs from the North thru' some bomb holes, crosses a fireroad and continues to end up at the fireroad close to the cross ways with the fireroad up from the car park.

Keep on looking there is lots more. As a starter when you have finished 'Jewel' turn left to the fireroad T then right up the hill to the main fireroad, left and down to the big tree. Look to your right ;-> Enjoy finding the rest and there is a route from St Leonards to Tilgate forest which adds an extra dimension.
  • Thanks for the tips! To get to the route I was talking about (does sound like the 'Jewel' to me) you need to head up the hill from the golf course end.
    We used to regularly ride in Tilgate but since all the singletrack was ruined by motocross St Leonards is much better.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    Tilgate was fine when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Yes the moto's do make it more challenging but they don't get to most of the singletrack.