Sports Relief - James Cracknell

NatalieC
NatalieC Posts: 2
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys,
I am from the team that has worked with Nokia and developed a site to track James Cracknell’s Sports Relief Challenge from Dover to Morocco.
James has been using the N82 GPS function linked up to an application called ‘Sports Tracker’ that has been sending us a signal showing exactly where he has been going on his bike through France and Spain. For the last six days, James’ supporters have been able to follow his progress via www.challengecracknell.com
This function can be used on Nokia N series and is particularly useful to cyclists, walkers, runners etc to allow them to track their routes and collect their stats – i.e. distance run, time taken etc. The stats can also be uploaded and compared on http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do.
Check out James’ site at www.challengecracknell.com to see exactly how the function works.
If anyone has any feedback or suggestions on both the site and the sport tracker application, I’d really appreciate it.
Cheers,
Natalie.

Comments

• Nathalie

If I understand the way this sytem works it sounds similar to the way Garmin (and other GPS) sytems work, allwoing you to log your route and thus work out distance, time elevation and so on after the event.

One question, does it refresh in real time, thus allowing an observer to follow your progress on a minute to minute basis? If so then that is one trick the Garmin units dont have.

AP
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've been using this on my N95, and yes it will update in real time if you want it to.

The biggest problems I've found with it, is that it's not terribly accurate, and often seems to lose the signal. It also sucks the battery dry, so recording long rides is out of the question. In fact I'd like to know how they powered James' phone for his trip.
  • Odilon
    Odilon Posts: 1
    For James' trip they may have boosted the battery life with something like this. I useMap My Tracks on my Nokia 6110 which give me about two hours of real-time GPS tracking. If I use an external GPS receiver with it instead it last for around 8 hours which is more than enough for my bike rides!
  • Avi
    Avi Posts: 47
    I have recently updated the firmware on my N95 and used sportstracker for a good few Hours the other day and there was still plenty of battery left! Apparently the version 20 Firmware boosts battery life by upto 30%!

I've been playing with uploading to the site in real time today and i'm really impressed!

Not had chance to try it out on the bike, but you can seea test i did in the car today

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... ?id=109941

It even knows where i took the photo and puts it on the map automatically!