New jacket

2»

Comments

• richardast
    richardast Posts: 273
    I'm just jealous with my Tesco Value t-shirt and kagool.
    :)
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Wore the Assos 851 for the first time in anger on my ride in this morning. 40K starting around 6.30 am and guess what.......

.......I was COLD. I had bib tights and a HH base layer underneath. It seemed most cold under ther arm pits and spreading from there. Not overly impressed - gonna have to go back to wearing a T-shirt over the baselayer. But the jacket is so nice I'll not send it back to Wiggle quite yet.

My feet were bloody freezing as well but that was my fault. One pair of socks with no overshoes. Fool.

DM
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wore the Assos 851 for the first time in anger on my ride in this morning. 40K starting around 6.30 am and guess what.......

.......I was COLD. I had bib tights and a HH base layer underneath. It seemed most cold under ther arm pits and spreading from there. Not overly impressed - gonna have to go back to wearing a T-shirt over the baselayer. But the jacket is so nice I'll not send it back to Wiggle quite yet.

My feet were bloody freezing as well but that was my fault. One pair of socks with no overshoes. Fool.

DM

What part of the country are you? I went out at 7ish this morning wearing nothing under the jacket, and 3/4 bibtights and I was about the right temperature (here in the North West).

Although I find that if I don't have the windproof panels facing the direction of travel my arms get cold - but that's easily sorted by putting it on properly.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    What part of the country are you? I went out at 7ish this morning wearing nothing under the jacket, and 3/4 bibtights and I was about the right temperature (here in the North West).

That's nothing, I bet they were going out with no jersey on at all in Newcastle :D
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I use a Gore Windstopper, with just a baselayer underneath. Agreed they don't keep severe rain out - but you stay warm enough.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320

DM

Although I find that if I don't have the windproof panels facing the direction of travel my arms get cold - but that's easily sorted by putting it on properly.

I'm down in Cambridge where it's often cooler and it's been decidely cold today. I was fine on the way home thuogh.

How on earth do you change the direction of the wind proof panals???

DM
  • redddraggon

I just twisted them around, so they faced the front.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804

I just twisted them around, so they faced the front.
    I think he means he just put it on properly! :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Argh. Damn you all. I read this thread last night and now wiggle have just processed my order. It's going to be a meagre April in chateaux JonGinge...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I'm about to buy a jacket two, can't decide between the ASSOS 851 and Castelli Espresso. Just came back from the LBS (Prologue, they are selling the Espresso with 30% off = £140!!) to get a closer look at the Castelli, and I have to say: I'm more inclined to get the ASSOS. My considerations:

Castelli: very nice design and looks, not many people have, zips for ventilation in the front.
    Assos: my impression is that the fabric is a bit better, and more toasty. I guess it might last longer too.
  • As the OP you'll know I have my jacket through a couple of seasons now. I've found I've warn it all year round - even in summer I wear it in the mornings when I set out at 6.30 (it's in the rucksack going home).

Today I went out and did 35 miles in the rain with an Endura baa-baa merino wool top , the Assos and the cheap DHB waterproof top. I had DHB bib tights under RonHill DXB's and my overshoes on with Sealskinz gloves. Whilst my upper body was cool I was never cold - except for my feet!!!

I would spend the money on this jacket again but I've never had any Castelli stuff so can't compare.

Anybody else had both???

Hope that helps,

David
  • Well,

Just clicked on the BUY NOW! button from Ribble, and got myself a brand new Assos Airjack.

Weatherman, bring it on! Now I'm prepared!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Regarding the Espresso vs the Assos 851 - the Espresso has windstopper all-round whereas the Assos is just on the front & the sleeves. I have both but I prefer the Espresso because I don't get choked by the collar. The Assos is OK for 2-3hr rides in winter but when it gets really cold the Espresso is better. You can wrap up well in the Espresso and use the vents to cool off.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maluco_beleza
    maluco_beleza Posts: 28
    edited November 2008
    humm, too late for me now...

But in a way, the jacket should work like a ski jacket, if it is really cold, you should get lots of layers on, and the jacket is just a shell to protect you from the 'elements'. So, in theory, any jacket should work.

Regarding the windstopper on the Assos, it kind of makes sense to have only in the front, as the material in the back might be more breathable, and you don't really need protection back there.

Anyway, I really like both, as I said, got the Assos becuase i felt the material was a bit more durable, but I wish I could get both too :wink:
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    A bit late to think about getting a jacket for this season I know.....I've been umming and ahhing for over a year. Still, the Sigma branded Nalini jacket I have does most winter days-used with a selection of baselayers-it has a windproof front, shoulders and front ot arms, and is just about shower proof

I loved the Castelli Espresso when I saw it earlier in the year, and even tried one on, on a baking hot day at a sportive

Sadly in this part of the world, there just aren't the high end shops that stock Assos or Castelli

I rather like the Nalini range-been looking at the Bosso Pro from a German site

http://www.trikotexpress.de/nalini-pro- ... tml?lang=1

as it seems to do all the things my current Sigma jacket does

Anyone any other suggestions?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    going to try an Endura windchill, http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=218 for around 60 notes. Basically stealth material on the front and a roubaix back, a full stealth will be too warm and I have a proper waterproof for those days where it's already raining. Was almost temped by the last of the 2008 Castelli Espressos Wiggle were doing for 140 the other week, but can't justify that sort of money really (especially at this time of year).
  • Why do you need a jacket ? Do you cycle quite slowly ?
  • redddraggon
    fatherted wrote:
    Why do you need a jacket ? Do you cycle quite slowly ?

Dude the faster you go, the worse the wind chill is..........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What`s the sizing like in assos jackets,I got a jersey in the large and it was too tight.Are the jackets tight?I`m about 39 -40 inch chest.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I'm 6 ft 2 inches with a 41 inch chest. The Xlarge is just right for me.

David
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I dont know what it is but something brings me back to this thread, I just cant work it out haha.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I have an Altura, zips still fine... wear it most days and about 15 months old. Have been very pleased with it.

Expect zips will fail tomorrow :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I've recently bought the airblock 851 in one of the new colours, i went for the lumo lime colour called SoHo. It is a little bling but i wanted something visible in the morning and night (from the back at least) but didn't make me look like i was on my way to dig the roads up. I have to say it is seriously warm and a few times i've slipped it on without checking the temp outside and have found myslef stopping and removing a layer as i'm so bleedin' hot!! Also, it makes you ride faster as you don't want to been seen going slow wearing it..
  • Is there anyone else that can talk more about the Espresso?
  • Ken Night
    Is there anyone else that can talk more about the Espresso?

Having come off on black ice yesterday, (sun was shining, road looked dry, so I felt justified at taking a swooping corner at 30mph) I wrecked some brand new Ron Hills and a nearly new Impsport Tour of Britain jacket

It would have been even more painful to have been wearing an Espresso jacket

Seriously, it was reviewed in CW recently, at 9-the same as the Rapha softshell. They made a comment "try for fit before you buy"
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • That sucks. I guess everytime you crash the first thing that comes to your mind is:

S***, I'm going to wreck my bike!
  • Im chuffed with my Santini Aria jacket. In black, obviously 8) .

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31006

Matching Santini Aria Long sleeve jersey, also in black :?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30999

The day I got them I went out for an hour and a half in the evening in 4 or 5 degrees with a HH base Layer underneath and had to open the jacket after giving it the beans. Since then I have left the base layer behind and once I warm up Im as "comfortable" as hoped for.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31422

The bibs (yes Santini in black :P ) arent as good as hoped for. My thighs get quite cold after an hour at most. Only problem now (after getting another pair of bibs :shock: ) is my toes, 2 pairs of my normal riding socks are no way near up to the job. Got everything from my LBS not Chainreaction.
  • Ken Night
    Im chuffed with my Santini Aria jacket. In black, obviously 8) .n.

Extravagent claims for the fabric
    • Resitex carbon fibres keep the body temperature constant
    • Lowers concentration of lactic acid and improve circulation
    • Abrasion resistant and hypoallergenic, windproof and breathable
  • Ken Night wrote:
    Im chuffed with my Santini Aria jacket. In black, obviously 8) .n.

Extravagent claims for the fabric
    • Resitex carbon fibres keep the body temperature constant
    • Lowers concentration of lactic acid and improve circulation
    • Abrasion resistant and hypoallergenic, windproof and breathable

I didnt get ANY lactic acid build up in the area covered by the jacket :lol: I dont have a HRM to check for improvements in my circulation though, sorry :oops: