Raliegh Bikes?

boothy1981
boothy1981 Posts: 7
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Looking for a road bike to travel to work bout 20 miles round trip and also weekend rides. On tight budget of £300.
Found a Raleigh Airlite 200 2006 FOR £249 but heard that raleigh bikes aren't the best.
Would i be wasting my money?
Is there any other bikes anyone could recomend?
Thanks. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comments

• pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    If you could find another £75 you could consider the continental race from Edinburgh bicycle co op ( the link is at the top of the forum page) I have had one for about 18 months and am more than pleased with it. It;s now my winter bike and also doubles up for my training bike on my turbo, for the money it's spot on. I hope you find what you are looking for good luck :D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    boothy1981 wrote:
    Looking for a road bike to travel to work bout 20 miles round trip and also weekend rides. On tight budget of £300.
    Found a Raleigh Airlite 200 2006 FOR £249 but heard that raleigh bikes aren't the best.
    Would i be wasting my money?
    Is there any other bikes anyone could recomend?
    Thanks. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Raleigh produce reliable enough bikes - the Airlite 200's good enough for the cost. Another alternative could be the Giant SCR 4 - are you ok with a Double or would you need a Triple or Compact?
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have a Raleigh Airlite and think it is a good bike. I use it as my training bike and it gets used in all weathers and is on its second winter. The only things I have changed are the bottom bracket for a sealed one and the chain and freewheel which was worn out after last winter. The one I bought was in a sale and cost £190. The bike may not be fashonable but for value for money its fine.
  • Boothy,

I would buy a second hand bike for £250, you will get something a couple of years old and of much higher quality than any new bike at that price.

Try looking in the British Cycling classifieds, back pages of Cycling Weekly, this sites For sale ads's, Ebay, and Gumtree (obviously wise to establish rightful ownership before parting with your cash.

If you are not confident in assessing roadworthyness get a mate to look with you or get LBS to check it over. Hope this gives you another option to consider.

SJonny
    weight.png
  • Thanks for advice every one. Least i've got some ideas to go at.
    Thanks again.