Planning 1st biking trip, Help Needed Please

Matt White
Matt White Posts: 9
edited March 2008 in MTB rides
Hi everyone, Im planning to go on a biking trip to Wales, driving down in car and stopping over, the problem is ive never organised anything like this and would like a little help on getting things moving,

Wheres the best place to stay - Tent, B n B, Hotel etc.....
How would I be able to clean the bike before it goes back in the car?
Whats the best trials in Wales, ( I dont mind getting muddy, its all part of MTB)
Whats the best part of wales to go to?
Whats the best way to keep the bike secure whilst also exporing other parts of wales?

Thanks for your help, if you can think of anything extra that i may have missed feel free to discuss. Many Thanks, and your more then welcome for a meet up once ive got dates sorted out. :D

Martin

Comments

• Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Hi Martin,

Never ridden in South Wales so I can't comment on there. However, there are lots of excellent trails in North Wales.

I would recommend Coed y Brenin in Dolgellau, Penmachno near Betws-Y-Coed and Llandegla which is near Wrexham.

For some decent cross country riding check out

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com

I think there is some mountain bike friendly accomodation near Coed Y Brenin and in Betws Y Coed too. Have a search on google.

Betws Y Coed would proably be a good base to reach all of the above mentioned trails as it is fairly central.

Stu
  • G to Afan and stay here:

http://www.landaoutdoorcentre.co.uk/

Cheap as chips and and a bar, what more could you want!
  • many thanks, I'll have a look at those sites.

Matt
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Did my first road trip this time last year.

Simple tips.

Get info on where your going. E.G. Cwmcarn DH needs an uplift unless your a mountain goat.

A B&B is also advisable opposed to camping as you don't want to be pitching a tent after a days riding.

Most places have a website so go online and see what you like.
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    I'd recommend trying to look for bunkhouses, as opposed to B & B's, if you want to do it on the cheap. There's a surprising amount of them all over Wales. You really need to decide where you want to ride and then start looking for accomodation nearby, there's plenty out there. In my experience, quite a few of the bunkhouses are used to catering for mountain bikers and will have a secure lock-up to keep your bikes in.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • dhxcme
    I got a cheap B&B near Cwm Carn £20 ahead. Includes all you need bed to sleep on, shower to wash yourself and a good greasy breakfast. Plus your 5 mins drive from the trails. Also your in th local village so 2 mins walk to the curry house and the B&B is also the local ale house.
  • I got a cheap B&B near Cwm Carn £20 ahead. Includes all you need bed to sleep on, shower to wash yourself and a good greasy breakfast. Plus your 5 mins drive from the trails. Also your in th local village so 2 mins walk to the curry house and the B&B is also the local ale house.

Nice one :) Where about can I store the moutainbikes? and do you have a facility to wash the bikes? How much notice do you require to book 2 nights at a weekend?

Yours in sport

Matt White
  • Lhance
    Lhance Posts: 88
    cwm carn as a great XC single track, half hour from the seven bridge, with good camping , showers , bike wash , & cafe. afan is only one hour along the M4.
    see MTBWALES . weekends are busy but once out on the trails , no problem.
    THEIR GREAT
  • spookylee
    spookylee Posts: 51
    If there is a groun of you, check out Rose cottage in Cwmmer. Both trail centres are withing riding distance (good to get warmed up), have excelen facilities.

6 bunks, 2 sofa beds. 2 bathrooms with showers. Lockable bike storage, and cleaning.

Cheap too !
  • dhxcme
    Anouther option if you want security is to hire a van for the weekend. Should cost about £75 -150 for 3 days and it's secure. If you get a transit and don't mind the cold you can also kip in the back. If you get more than 3 of you you can reduce the cost of the van greatly, as you charge a few quid per head for driving peoples bikes up there.