Sensitive Subject

fosmaal
fosmaal Posts: 44
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Does anybody suffer from sweat rash particularly in the "ahem" pubic region. I get it, and the only way I found to get rid of it is to use Canesten cream, but that is a cure and I would much rather have a prevention.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• AntLockyer wrote:
    Shave your pubes, use plenty of talc.

I use talc and it helps a lot.

and look like the last chicken in Tescos :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Known in the states as jock itch. To help prevent it, remove your cycling shorts as
    soon as you can after riding and dry the area off. Lots of people swear by Assos
    cream.

Dennis Noward
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Change / wash your shorts after every ride. Shower after your ride and use something like a tea tree oil shower gel. Jock itch or Dobe itch is your affliction - it's basically the same fungal infection which causes athletes foot. You can use some foot powder / anti-fungal treatment to prevent it recurring. The Assos cream or any chamois cream with an astringent is good - but careful of open sores as it will sting like crazy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Iused Lamisil spray

The rash has not been back since
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    I havent had this problem , but I have suffered with athletes foot in the past. According to my podiatrist , because Lamisil kills fungal growth and spores it is ok to use it from time to time as a preventative treatment. There is no risk of producimg a resistant strain.
    I do my feet about once a week - whether I need to or not - and have been trouble free for nearly two years.
    Something to think about?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I suffered from this a couple of years ago. It just kept coming back. I started to use tea tree oil soap from these people

http://www.wellbeing-uk.com/index.aspx?jse=true

I also dab a bit of tea tree oil on after each ride

Seems to do the trick.
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Change / wash your shorts after every ride. Shower after your ride and use something like a tea tree oil shower gel. Jock itch or Dobe itch is your affliction - it's basically the same fungal infection which causes athletes foot. You can use some foot powder / anti-fungal treatment to prevent it recurring. The Assos cream or any chamois cream with an astringent is good - but careful of open sores as it will sting like crazy.

As Monty Dog says, it's a fungal infection. I'd recommend Daktarin Aktiv, you can get it at Tesco, Asda etc. The cream works best to clear the problem.

Red Rock
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    For years I just thought it was a heat rash that went away in it's own time...

This could be life (and arse)-changing advice from BikeRadar.

Great work fellas :D
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    For prevention smear some Vaseline around the area before you ride. Once a rash starts it can take weeks to get rid of and can be quite painful. There are other, more sofisticated creams but Vaselene is cheap and easily obtained.
    Chris
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I had this problem and my doctor gave me clotrimazole cream which cleared it up quickly and it hasn't returned, but I also now use some talc down there before a ride.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You need an antifungal cream, others will just allow it to flourish in the moist conditions, so that is Clotrimazole (Canesten), Daktarin or Lamisil. If one doesn't work try another, they each contain a different anti-fungal. Canestan also have a cream with both the antifungal clotrimazole, and hydrocortisone which will reduce the inflammation more quickly, (there is also Daktacort cream, and Daktarin Gold).

It also helps to expose the area to sunlight as often as possible :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    alfablue wrote:
    You need an antifungal cream, others will just allow it to flourish in the moist conditions, so that is Clotrimazole (Canesten), Daktarin or Lamisil. If one doesn't work try another, they each contain a different anti-fungal. Canestan also have a cream with both the antifungal clotrimazole, and hydrocortisone which will reduce the inflammation more quickly, (there is also Daktacort cream, and Daktarin Gold).

It also helps to expose the area to sunlight as often as possible :lol:

I've sort of got a visual picture of exposing the area to sunlight but couldn't I also
    be put in jail for that? Plus they really frown on things like that at work. What to do,
    what to do??

Dennis Noward
  • alfablue
    Get naked, get a jail cell with a south facing aspect :D
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    markos1963 wrote:
    I had this problem and my doctor gave me clotrimazole cream which cleared it up quickly and it hasn't returned, but I also now use some talc down there before a ride.

Another big-up for Clotrimazole :oops:
  • fosmaal
    fosmaal Posts: 44
    Thanks for the advice, think i have anough options for powders and creams to keep me going for a few months. :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I feel like i've sneaked into the boys changing room again 8)
  • alfablue
    Quick lads, grab yer towels!

To the boys in here, you should only use clotrimozole (canestan) maximum of twice in 6 months, more than that and you should use an alternative antifungal (you might be growing a resistant fungus).
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    I get it alot when i'm just wearing boxers, but once i've got some underwear thats more form fitting and covers that region completely, like my under armour ones that go down to the knees made out of spandex, I never get it.I may be talking about something different though, where it goes red on the innner thigh and hurts to walk.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • In all honesty, the only cream that I have found that really helps is one that is new on the market - nubutte (gotto love the name of the product too!). It is all natural, and has tea-tree oil, witch-hazel (natural astringent), shea butter and a few other ingredients. The point being that I have not even had a mild rash since I started to use it. It washes clean from me and my chamois - which makes me happy. I found it for sale on the following websites: www.nubutte.com and www.lovetia.com. In my opinion this cream needs an award for the amount of pain it has saved me. LOL.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    popette wrote:
    I feel like i've sneaked into the boys changing room again 8)
    Now what did you wanna go do that for :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    AntLockyer wrote:
    Keeping the balls away from the legs helps :)

How do you do this? With elastic bands or bungies?? :wink:
    popette wrote:
    I fell like i've sneaked into the boys changing room again 8)

Popette....do you have a habit of sneaking into the boys changing room? :wink::wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • popette
    I often feel l'm a fly on the wall of the mens room when I read various threads on this forum. I'm sure there can't be many places where guys talk about shaving their pubes, shaving legs & arms, applying creams, losing weight etc. You lot are fascinating!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    It washes clean from me and my chamois - which makes me happy.

:lol: Popette: I doubt you ever thought you'd see that phrase when you first stuck your head around the door!
  • did you order the nubutte gear from ebay in the US? that second link seems to be a bit hosed.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    popette wrote:
    I often feel l'm a fly on the wall of the mens room when I read various threads on this forum.!

Had that feeling when I was googling for info on a new saddle, by accident ended up at teamestrogen.com, didn't know women er ... dress to one side on a saddle in the same way men do :oops:
  • popette
    Good lord! :shock:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    fluff. wrote:
    popette wrote:
    I often feel l'm a fly on the wall of the mens room when I read various threads on this forum.!

Had that feeling when I was googling for info on a new saddle, by accident ended up at teamestrogen.com, didn't know women er ... dress to one side on a saddle in the same way men do :oops:

Really?? Who Knew! :lol: mind you.....no...... inside thoughts :twisted:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • popette
    Can't say I have this problem - is there something wrong with me? (I don't think so but you're right cee, WHO KNEW???)