Bike Upgrades

WaveyDave
WaveyDave Posts: 18
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm new to the forum, so hope I've posted this in the right place. I bought an Edinburgh Bicycle Continental Race 2005 bike a couple of years ago. Its only for a 13 mile each way commute, not racing etc. I'm looking to get some upgrades as its in need of a little TLC.

I was looking at basically stripping the whole lot down and replacing as much as possible. Presently it has a SORA 8 speed gear system, with triple chainset (not Shimano). It also has Tektron brakes, and cheapo wheels.

I was thinking of putting the following on, but don't know if it's compatbile/the best choice, so hope someone can point me in the right direction:

Swap chainset for Tiagra triple (4503).
Upgrade rear freehub cassette to HG50 8 speed.
Swap front derailleur for Shimano Tiagra 4503 Triple
Shimano 105 (5600) brakeset
Shimano 105 (5610) pedals

Keep 8 speed triple SORA shifters, replace all cables/chain etc. Probably change the bottom bracket to a Tiagra 4500 Bottom Bracket Cup Set.

What do you reckon - will this work, is it overkill, am I stupid :oops:

Thanks

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    What do you want to change the parts for ? Unless the current bits are on the verge of wearing out, I wouldn't bother.

You mention 105 pedals in your list, which are clipless. Have you tried using clipless pedals before ? If not you'll need a new pair of shoes to screw the cleats into the bottom. There's quite a few different clipless systems in addition to the 105 pedals you mention above

Road racing type (Difficult to walk in these, cleat stands proud of the shoe)
    Shimano SPD-SL (The 105 pedals are part of this family)
    Look Keo
    Time
    Speedplay

Touring/MTB (Easier to walk in, the cleat is recessed into the shoe)
    Shimano SPD
    Time ATAC
    Crankbrothers
  • WaveyDave
    WaveyDave Posts: 18
    Thanks for the reply.

have used clipless, currently using my old mountain bike pedals and shoes, looking for something a bit more suitable for road riding.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    It really depends on what kind of riding you want to do - ATAC/SPD are fine for touring, commuting and runs to the local cafe with the added bonus of being able to walk around in the shoes. The cleats should last for years too.

For racing I find the two bolts of SPD/ATAC a bit flimsy, and use Look Keo's.