Stupid saddle height question

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
This is a bit embarrassing to admit, but I have awful problems with my saddle height. I know I have it set too low. I tend to suffer from knee pain, and I know I don't get as much power as I could because my legs don't straighten enough. The problem is, I keep it at the height it is because I need to be able to get a foot down without getting out of the saddle. I just can't get to grips with getting out of the saddle before I put my foot down (last time I raised my saddle, I ended up falling off because of this). Is there some way I can teach myself to do this because I know it's really affecting my riding?

Comments

• gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Why not just stay on your seat and let the bike lean over?
  • Alibran
    It already has to lean a bit. I can just touch the tips of my toes on both feet on the ground, or the ball of one foot with the bike leaning.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    On a gentle down hill put your weight on the opposite pedal to the side you get off on and free wheel. While doing this lift out of the saddle and stand on the pedal. At first just get used to the idea of transferring your weight from the saddle to the pedal until you can go some distance with your backside clear of the saddle. Try lifting the other foot clear of the pedal. Once you are comfortable with this move forward so you are clear of the front of the saddle. From here you just have to bend your knee and lower the other foot on to the ground. I guess you don't sit on the saddle when you set off, rather stand on the pedal and as you move off move up on to the saddle and the other pedal. Basically stopping is the reverse of this.
  • Alibran
    Thanks, John. I'll try this out over the weekend, and see how I get on.