Beacon RCC's Cotswold Audax - online bookings now available

Cotswold Audaxes

Beacon RCC's Cotswold Audax is a great day's riding for cyclists of all ambition levels. Hundreds of riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

Starting from Kings Norton, to the south of Birmingham
- 108km Cotswold Outing, Welford, Wellesbourne
- 150km Cotswold Journey. Broadway, Shutford, Wellesbourne
- 202km Cotswold Expedition. Broadway, Windrush Valley, Burford, Shutford, Wellesbourne

Other features:
- A great HQ near the M42, with ample parking,

- changing facilities, showers and catering
- Country lanes almost all the way
- Great scenery, with leafy byways and limestone villages
- Controls at cycle-friendly cafés and pubs
- Free refreshments at the start and finish
- Souvenir water bottle for every finisher

For details on the audaxes and how to enter: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

cotswold_2007-1.jpg

Comments

• If you have not booked up for this audax - Don't forget to do so. You can do it online.

Sunny weather guaranteed - but don't quote me on that.
  • Cotswold Audaxes

Beacon RCC's Cotswold Audax is a great day's riding for cyclists of all ambition levels. Hundreds of riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

Starting from Kings Norton, to the south of Birmingham
    - 108km Cotswold Outing, Welford, Wellesbourne
    - 150km Cotswold Journey. Broadway, Shutford, Wellesbourne
    - 202km Cotswold Expedition. Broadway, Windrush Valley, Burford, Shutford, Wellesbourne

Other features:
    - A great HQ near the M42, with ample parking,

- changing facilities, showers and catering
    - Country lanes almost all the way
    - Great scenery, with leafy byways and limestone villages
    - Controls at cycle-friendly cafés and pubs
    - Free refreshments at the start and finish
    - Souvenir water bottle for every finisher

This is (imho) the audax by which all other audax are judged - the organisation is fantastic. Route sheets superb (I love the rally car signage), the photographer who not only gets your piccy but has them all printed by the end of your ride, and ... well I could (and should) go on but I won't as you'll all suspect me of being a member of the beacon club. I only wish i lived close enough for tha to be true! Sign up guys n gals. You won't regret it.
    On line booking! and I'll bet if I bothered to look, not only will the map and profile be on their website, but I'd wager they'll also have some kind of gps file for download as well. What a club. Jeez, why do Ilive in Hinckley.

and PS to Beacon Ruth - were you by any chance in my neck of the woods (Hinckley area) in some event going out towards the A5 just after Wolvey?
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • If you are intending upon entering this event - you better do so soon. There are only a few spaces left out of the full field of 500.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html
  • If you are intending upon entering this event - you better do so soon. There are only a few spaces left out of the full field of 500.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    and PS to Beacon Ruth - were you by any chance in my neck of the woods (Hinckley area) in some event going out towards the A5 just after Wolvey?
    Sorry for the late reply - I've only just seen it. Yes, John, I rode an event on that course on 3rd May - the Coventry CC Diana Cooke Memorial 10. It's a super event. :D Where were you?

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply - I've only just seen it. Yes, John, I rode an event on that course on 3rd May - the Coventry CC Diana Cooke Memorial 10. It's a super event. :D Where were you?

Ruth

Well I was driving my daughter back home from a "party" in Coventry and decided to take the scenic route rather than the M69. You were just on the flat after the Wolvey roundabout (it had a pub next to it) going towards the A5 and you stopped your bike and looked round (I'm sure I wasn't about to run you down!! :oops: ). I noticed your Beacon strip and made a guess to daughter that "she" was "you". :P
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

• BeaconRuth
    Well I was driving my daughter back home from a "party" in Coventry and decided to take the scenic route rather than the M69. You were just on the flat after the Wolvey roundabout (it had a pub next to it) going towards the A5 and you stopped your bike and looked round (I'm sure I wasn't about to run you down!! :oops: ). I noticed your Beacon strip and made a guess to daughter that "she" was "you". :P
    Ah, it might not (in fact probably wasn't) me. Sorry to disappoint, but there were 7 of us 'Beacon women' racing on that course that day. I'm afraid it could have been any one of us. Did 'she' have a disc wheel, a skinsuit and an aerohelmet?

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    :P
    Ah, it might not (in fact probably wasn't) me. Sorry to disappoint, but there were 7 of us 'Beacon women' racing on that course that day. I'm afraid it could have been any one of us. Did 'she' have a disc wheel, a skinsuit and an aerohelmet?

Ruth[/quote]

Just had a word with daughter who reckons the "she" was wearing 'one of those helmets thats not too long and pointy at the back like those we have seen'. neither of us took much notice of wheel or kit other than it was def. beacon strip. Oh yes, it was a white helmet - tho daughter reckons it was ivory white (well she is female).

JB

• dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    Has anyone ridden this audax before? Can anybody tell me anything about it?

I have entered. The website and organisation looks very professional, I hope that it is the same on the day. Looks like decent weather in any case.
  • dead sheep wrote:
    Has anyone ridden this audax before? Can anybody tell me anything about it?
    quote]

DS, just look at their website again. Its absolutely fabby n'est pas? So take that as a damn good indication that everything to do with THIS audax is also fabby. As I wrote in my reply at the top of the page, this club is gold standard when it comes to organisation. Hells teeth, they (George I believe his name is) have even managed to get fabby weather the last few years as well (now THAT is good organising :!:

Be prepared to have a smile on your face for a very long time on Sunday.

• Saturn
    Saturn Posts: 628
    Which event have you entered deadsheep?

I've ridden the 202 & 150 the last 2 years and rode the clockwise 108 a month or so ago checking the routesheet. This year I'm on the 150 again. They're all nice routes, in fact they follow the same route for the first and final sections. The middle sections of the 150 and 202 are perhaps the most scenic but I really enjoyed the middle section of the 108 too. Controls are all very nice. Wicked bacon butties (and indeed any breakfast fayre) at Wellesbourne, good cake too. ISTR the carrot cake was good last year at Shutford too. Longish final section on the 150 & 202 but this is followed by a serious refuelling opportunity :-)
    <font size="1">May all your tail winds be up-drafts</font id="size1">
  • BeaconRuth
    Good to meet you johnbirkby46213! Thanks for introducing yourself and apologies for not stopping to chat for longer - I was a bit busy on kitchen duties.

Everyone certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves and I thought the route I did was remarkably traffic-free - an effect of the current cost of fuel? It was good to have a HQ like that where everyone could relax outside on the grass afterwards. :D

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Good to meet you johnbirkby46213! Thanks for introducing yourself and apologies for not stopping to chat for longer - I was a bit busy on kitchen duties.:D

Ruth

And the same to you. Actually you were flying when you came whizzing towards us! No not when you were in the kitchen, i meant out on the road!

The chap I was riding with is somewhat more "senior" to me and he achieved a a personal best time for that distance so was well pleased at the end of the ride - if somewhat understandably tired... but a nice tired i hope.

and to Dead Sheep:

Well then, are you going to tell us what you thought? How did you find it?

and to "George" who organises it all (with help from't committee no doubt) For goodness sake , put the price up. more food than you can shake an empty belly at, free bottle, good venue with easy parking - it just doesn't make sense!! ... and put me down for next year again!

• BeaconRuth
    and to Dead Sheep:

Is Dead Sheep still alive do you think? :wink:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    and to Dead Sheep:

Is Dead Sheep still alive do you think? :wink:

Ruth

Maybe ColinJ (and the sheep) ran out of luck...?? :shock: