Toe Studs what are they for?

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
Just bought a new pair of riding clogs and they have come with some studs that look like footy boot studs what are they for I cant see what use they would be :?
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Grip on muddy slopes when off the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    As Nicklouse said.

Especially true of xc races as any steep uphill will soon turn into a mud slide after half the field have scrambled up.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I can see that they would be useful on a muddy slope but arent they going to be lethal on rocks going flat on your face in mud hurts your pride do the same on rocks and it never ends well
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got them on my Lake shoes, but they are roadie style shoes :? but I wear them on the commute as they have velcro straps and quick change when I get to work.

One thing though, I wore the blanking pieces down so have put some studs in for the time being. Can I get replacement blanking pieces? Got plenty of studs so might have to chop 2 pairs down and extend the thread if I can't get blanking pieces.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    I have the option on my Specialized shoes but I haven't felt the need for them yet. They are already have moulded grips on the sole and they do the job fine, I suppose they are just an optional extra for really muddy conditions.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • agamemnon
    agamemnon Posts: 168
    For XC racing only. Any good course on a muddy day will involve getting off the bike and getting up an impossible section on foot. At this point the studs are vital. The studs n my SIDI shoes have made the difference in the past. If you don't race then don't bother... As you say. on rocks they are useless :lol: