chicken size?

Random Vince
Random Vince Posts: 11,374
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
what size chicken should i get to feed just two people?

don't want to spend more than i have to or waste too much,

cheers
My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    A small one :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Random Vince
    ok, a rough guess of weight is more what i was after

come on, i'm trying to impress the girlfriend and give her a treat on her last night shift in A+E

that will be all

• Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Why do you want a chicken to feed you? Can't you just do it yourselves?
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Random Vince
    ok, so the jokes are amusing, but i need to bike out to the supermarket tonight to get it,

please can someone give a proper answer, ask you're wife / partner / gf if you need to

if anyone knows the weight for four people then i'll just take a third off and go with that (assuming halving it would be too small due to bones etc adding to none eadible mass)

that will be all

• jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Medium Chicken(They come i n small, medium or large) Get a Tesco or Sainsbury Deli one and you don't even have to cook it.

If buying Raw and cooking then make sure you go free range as whitingstall, Oliver and Ramsey will be round to get ya!!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    The packaging usually says how many it should feed but to be honest if your struggling to work out issues like how on earth are you going to get it prepared and cooked :?

Just go to KFC instead :wink:
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    If you want to impress her

Ditch the chicken and do something like Guinea foul or Duck or Pigeon!!!!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Can't go along with the pigeon idea- too small and bony , also duck(for an inexpeienced chef) is quite difficult to get right - easy to burn. Why not do the classic french meal of saucisson avec pommes frites et haricots verts a la sauce tomate (sausage chips and beans). If she loves you she'll understand. :)
  • Random Vince
    no, she'd kill me - she hates baked beans.

i know how to cook it, well, i've got a good set of instructions from my sister in law and her roasts are lovely so we'll see how it goes :D

that will be all

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    You probably want one around 1kg /2.2 lbs, unless you are feeling hungry. That should give you a decent portion each once the bone and fat you won't want to be eating is left behind. The larger ones tend to cook better, and there is proportionally less waste. Why not get a larger one and a jar of curry sauce to eat the day after?

PS, check there are no giblets inside before you cook it.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Term1te wrote:
    Why not get a larger one and a jar of curry sauce to eat the day after?

or sandwiches later on :roll:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Why do you want a chicken to feed you? Can't you just do it yourselves?

Excellent lol

Dennis Noward
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    Most useful phrase for life: If you're gonna have one, have a big one.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've been doing chickens for years and my feeling is that your basic standard chicken is
    just as good as any of the so called upscale or upgraded ones. These overly
    expensive hign end chickens just haven't been proven to have any advantage over
    the standard design chicken. Which, by the way, have been in use for centuries and
    has not been improved on. As far as sizing your chicken goes I would advise going
    to your local professional chicken shop, get their help, and look at all the sizes and
    models available. Then you can make a more informed decision.

Dennis Noward
  • just my 2 pence.

if it were me... i'd go for at least a freedom food standard chicken, preferably free range. for two people small or roughly aboout 4-5 quid should do the job.

also... try not to overcook it :-)

i would do a roast most sundays for me and the mrs... and normally get a chicken about that size... get some thyme garlic and lemon insdie it, roast for 45 mins, then add in some parboiled spuds to the tray getting them coated in the juices.... another 45 mins and it should be good to go. check the juices run clear from the thickest part on the thigh. tent it in tinfoil and let rest for 15 mins while the spuds finish roasting and you have a quality dinner!

you could also do a lemon butter and put in under the skin beside the breasts too if you're feeling adventurous :-)

i'm hungry now. :D
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/