Saddle pack for racing?

streako
streako Posts: 2,937
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
How do you racers carry your kit?

I figure I need a spare tube, CO2 inflator, multi tool, chain splitter and links.

Rather than take the whole Camelback, I was thinking of getting a saddle bag such as Topeak Aero wedge, and just taking these essentials.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You're going to need water anyway though, so you may as well put the kit on your back.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Saddle packs rattle a lot and quite often the clip-on type can fall off.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get yourself 2 bottle cages and 2 bottles keep 1 bottle for your juice wrap all your bits and pieces in some rags and shove them in the other bottle and hey presto no stupid rucksack bouncing about on your back

obviously this only works for short blasts youll still need a rucksack for anything longer than an hour coz you wont be able to carry enough water :)
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Water in bottle, pump attached to frame, tools and tube in jersey back pockets?
  • I currently use a water bottle, have the pump on the frame and use a saddlepack. THis hasn't been for racing mind you, but has just been the permanent set up. As soon as I got the saddle bag, I got out the sowing kit, and added a compression strap using a bit of elastic and some velcro. I now have very little rattle from the pack, if any at all. Very simple to do.

and it lets my sweaty back breathe! :shock: :oops:
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have a Specialized dirt bag,with tube,multitool,and tyre levers,a bottle in a cage and a frame mounted pump.The Blackburn Mammoth comes with a mount that you can use with the bottle cage mount so you still can use both cages,if you have 2 mounts.

No problems with rattling,and the adjustable velcro straps mean you can pull it tight to the seatpost and saddle.Buy a small pack as possible, so your kit is snug,in the pack and it will be fine.

I normally use this set up in preference to my Camelbak in summer.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    For rides under 2 hours or at a trail centre I use Topeak wedge everything rapped up in a rag so no rattles and a Velcro strap added so it will never come off unless you do it yourself.
    Bottle and pump on the frame (get a bottle that has the cup like cap over the top as no crap gets on the drinking spout)

For longer rides use a Camelbak, in the hot weather (the British summer) it’s a must to carry plenty of fluid so you don’t dehydrate.

But its still a joy to ride with nothing on your back, it’s a matter of choice and what you can get away with depending on where and how you ride.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I use a specalized saddle bag for races. I used to stick things in my back pockets, but find the saddle pack an easier/comfier option. If it is a long one lap ride than I will take a camelback and put things in there. For multiple loop style races I find the under saddle pack and water bottles work well.

Make sure the bag you buy has some form of compression straps, that way you shouldn't get any rattling.