Did I go and order the wrong size bike?

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Now this may be a case of me just worrying over nothing but I can't help but shake the feeling that I've ordered my new bike in a size too large!

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a shiny new Trek 1.7 in a 58cm frame having tried out both a 58 and a 56. At the time I took a brief test of both sizes the 58 did feel a bit better but it's totally against all of my better judgement.

Before trying the bikes I was assuming I was going to be around a 56cm frame, possibly smaller, so I was completely stumped when the bigger bike felt better. I'm about 5ft 10in and pretty lightly built (around 10 stone).

Admittedly both bikes were the first time I'd actually ridden a racer before so the whole experience felt a lot different anyway.

So, what do you think - am I just worrying unnecessarily and the 58cm frame isn't going to be too big for my height one I get some miles on it?
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    a 58 trek is more like a 56 anyway as they are measured c-t.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    What did your LBS advise prior to ordering? I assume they had no particular measuring involved other than 'take it round the block and see how it feels'.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hey CFRAME - I would have a read of this http://tinyurl.com/2lj4z7 and then you can kinda make your own decisions -

I would call the bike shop and tell them how you feel. Tell them you are in two minds about the size and if you could go down and maybe get some measurements taken.

I am sure they will be more then happy to help.

Have a read of that link I pasted .. I find that website one of the most valuable for general info on the web.. let us know how you get on..

adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • cframe
    @a_n_t: ahh, cheers for that

@top_bhoy: They didn't recommend any particular sizing but I tried sitting positions on both frames in the shop and then took them both out for the test. The guy helping me was quite surprised that the 58 didn't look massive on me just sitting on it in the shop admittedly.

@doobz: cheers for the link, I'll be checking it out at lunchtime.

As it happens I got my cyclescheme voucher through today in work so it might be too late to change anything… It felt ok on the test but I figure I can always adjust the seat position and/or the stem if it does start to feel too stretched on longer rides.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    The shop you got it in....I see your in Glasgow, was it the big well known shop behind buchanan bus station? I only ask because for my first (expensive) bike, that was typical of the 'fitting' I received from there 15 years ago - I didn't even have the chance to go 'round the block' and it felt too big once I had a proper ride on it. I've avoided it like the plague ever since.
  • I'm 5' 10" with inside leg 32".

I tried TREK 1.x in 54, 56 & 58. I thought 58 seemed far too big for me - actually too long a reach to hoods. LBS fitted each bike to a turbo and watched / checked as I pedalled. Eventually decided I was 56 and ordered it. Has been fine since I got it (only 10 days tho).

Speak to shop an dlet them know your concerns. Get back there and try 56 & 58 on a turbo with somebody observing.

It's too expensive to get it too big - at least you can change stems and posts on a 56 if needed.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited March 2008
    Depends a lot on your inside leg measurement and your upper body length.

I have a 34" inside leg, and am 5ft 10 - I ride a 56cm Felt, and at first I thought it was a little large, but after sliding the seat forward (It wasn't central to start with), and fitting some narrower bars, it now feels spot on.

I have a firend who is 5ft 7, and they have a 52cm Trek, and that is the perfect fit for them.

I would defo voice my concerns as soon as possible, the longer you leave it, the more irreversable it will be.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    58cm sounds too big to me. Just checked the Trek website and that frame has a 57.2cm effective top tube length, which is very long for someone your size. I think that the 56cm would be better, but even that has a long 55.8cm top tube. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and I would have gone for the 54cm.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Sounds way too big to me.

I agree, 54cm (better a little too small than too big).
  • cframe
    Erk, it's coming into the shop tomorrow. Phoned up to ask about the cyclescheme voucher stuff before I saw all your new responses guys.

I figure it's now a bit late to switch it out for something different considering they had to order it in (they tend not to stock the triples).
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I'm 6'0'' and I'm on a Specialized 54. It's probably technically too small for me but it feels right...maybe because I grew up on BMXs and a 54 was the first 'proper' bike I got.

I had a 56 last time and never felt comfortable.
  • jpembroke
    My road bike is a 51cm Planet X, which is perfect (it has 55cm top tube so it's quite long). I also have a 54cm Planet X Cross bike, which is too big and will be sold at some point. I always prefer a smaller bike - they seem more whippy.
  • Doobz
    why not phone them and just explain how you feel and explain that you think its the wrong size? surely they will just be able to replace it with a smaler frame? If I was spending good money on something I would make sure its 100% right otherwise your going to do damage to yourself..
    cartoon.jpg
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Im 5foot 12 inches :lol: and ride a 56cm Pinarello without sloping top tube and it fits perfectly for me.Your LBS should have advised you and made sure you were 100% confident with it.I think its better to have a slightly smaller frame than larger one anyway,especially along the top tube.As advised I would go back and tell them your concerns before its too late.Try this to give you piece of mind.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
  • cframe
    Hey guys, well I ended up speaking to the guys in the shop and they're gonna get me in over the weekend to get properly sized up to the right frame.

Feel kinda bad cos they're having to try and return the bike back to Trek (it was a special order cos it was a triple) but they're being really good about it, which take a weight off my mind!

I'll let you all know how it goes at the weekend :)
  • cframe
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I just went through the fit calculator that campagchris linked up with some very rough numbers I measured up myself and, going purely by the top tube lengths, it looks like I should be looking at at 52(!)cm frame :?

Edit: I was clearly too tired - Google said I was 5.8ft not 5ft'8"! So I am actually as tall as I thought, not that that changes any of the measurements from the bike fit thing.
  • Doobz
    thats awesome mate.. I am so glad you got it sorted otherwise you might have been a bit gutted and uncomfortable riding a bike that is not the right size

hope the bike fitting goes well

adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    cframe wrote:
    Ok, I just went through the fit calculator that campagchris linked up with some very rough numbers I measured up myself and, going purely by the top tube lengths, it looks like I should be looking at at 52(!)cm frame :?

Also turns out I'm not as tall as I thought, I'm only 5'8", oops!

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inside leg and fit sytems and measurements usuall indicate about 52cm give or take a cm. I got a long-term loan of a 56cm Coppi and it's just too big so I think you're right to make the change now.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You're right to change.

Don't feel bad about it....

Because they have been very good, you'll be back for servicing and other gear.

It makes a huge difference to get good service.

Getting the wrong size would have been a disaster, ebay is littered with them
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cframe
    Well I headed back down to the shop today and got a full on fitting done, not test ride as it was absolutely throwing it down outside but had a shot on a trainer anyway which was good.

Have now ended up going for a 54cm compact double with a 100mm stem (over the standard 90mm stem) instead of the 58cm triple!

The fitting this time I have to admit was a lot more thorough down to even trying out the longer stem on the 54cm bike to compare with a 56 as it seemed just a bit too stretched when I was on most of the positions on the bars.

Only bad thing is the bike is now on back order probably for a month till Trek get stock back in!

It's gonna be a month of hard training in April to get ready for the Etape Caledonia :)
  • jpembroke
    Brilliant! Sounds perfect. Hope you get the new bike soon.