Lanzarote

Matteeboy
Matteeboy Posts: 996
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Feel like an imposter in here as I'm a lifelong MTBer but...

...just been to Lanzarote for a week (surfing, and for Winter sun) and was amazed at the hge number of road cyclists, mostly with very high end kit.

Is it a well known training area?
Looked fun to me.
Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org

Comments

• tarpaullynn
    tarpaullynn Posts: 146
    There's a big sports resort on the west of the island, maybe a lot of people may head there for some winter training.

http://www.clublasanta.com/Biking-6163.aspx
    Tarpaullynn
  • Matteeboy
    tarpaul - we stayed very near it and checked the surf there several times (gets very good when it's working). I guess they may have been based there. Tonnes of runners too.

Sadly about the only British people I saw were overweight, "sports" wear clothed idiots that made me hang my head in shame.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was in Lanzarote 2 years ago on a family holiday, I took the bike and cylcled every where on the island...I must say that it was terribly difficult cycling....the highest climb is only 600meters (Mirador de Haria) and theres lots of lovely parts of the island...but the wind is the major problem...never, ever in my life have I had to cycle in such consistent wind conditions...it really is never ending...and after 60miles I was near falling off the bike...awful. I cetrainly wouldnt entertain that again, last year I went to Tenerife and cycled all over that...Ok, the Hills are the biggest in Europe etc but with very little wind it was so much more enjoyable....and also a much nicer island.

They don't say the Lanzarote Ironman event is the toughest in the world for no reason...I wouldnt fancy cycling the entire coast of the island into that ceaseless wind.

Better for surfing :wink:
  • Matteeboy
    It was pretty windy a lot of the time.

Really liked it though - great food, scenery (avoided tourist spots like the plague), warm water for surfing/swimming, cool people and great roads for driving on (got upgraded to a decent hire car).

Will return.

• [quote="Sadly about the only British people I saw were overweight, "sports" wear clothed idiots that made me hang my head in shame.[/quote]

i'm sure you'll see that 98% of the british population look like this and here in Scotland it creeps up to 99.5%. roy chubby browns everywhere :shock:
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    I going tomorrow so I'll let you know when I get back.

Couldn't find a decent deal on our 2nd ski trip so we have booked to go to Lanzarote instead.

I have managed to hire a decent road bike for the week so will get a few miles in whilst my wife runs ...

I'll report back :D
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Yep, Lanzarote is always windy. I've been going there since 1988, and it hasn't changed in that respect. It usually picks up more during the day too, so early mornings are the best times to cycle.
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    Can you let me know where you've booked the bike from we have just booked a week in May half term but with the associated luggage for 3 kids (and the wife) I'm not allowed to take the bike
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Just in case they don't reply, here's a similar thread about bike hire in Lanzarote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12561471
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    Well I just got back from a week in Lanzarote.

I managed to hire a decent road bike and get 2-3 hours biking in each morning.

The weather was perfect at 23 degs but it was windy so I did all my rides into the wind each day; the wind was 25-30mph so it was hard going; there are also quite a few hills if you wish to suffer further.

I rented the bike from the bike station in Costa Tegese (sp?) I got a LeMOnd Reno which did the job.

There are a lot of road bikes riding around the island which means the cars are used to seeing bikes and leave plenty of space and the roads are fine.

I'd recommend it ...

On a side note it's also a bit of a bucket & spade brigade place with loads of fat, burnt british people stuffing thier faces and loafing around; the spanish must laugh their heads off when waves of fat chavs spawl themselves out under the sun to get roasted ... it is a sad reflection on the state of the nation if the typical holiday maker I encountered represents the UK :?
  • I've also just arrived back from some time in Lanzarote. This is the 2nd springtime in a row that I've been there & hired a road bike. It is an excellent place for cycling, good roads, not too much traffic, hilly but not too severe. As the previous posters say it does get very windy & that makes it quite a challenge.

This year I rode 69 miles from Playa Blanca up to Costa Teguise then across to Tinagua before heading back south (with the wind). The wind usually blows from the north so if you're based in Playa Blanca leave early in the morning. The climb up to Femes is wicked right at the start of your ride! Especially with a howling gale in your face.

The Spanish national triathlon team were based in our hotel for 10 days, they've been training on Lanzarote for 18 years. There is an international triathlon in March every year in Playa Blanca. I also met a couple of Austrian triathletes. Also lots of organised groups riding some very upmarket gear.

A lot of international athletes stay at Club La Santa up on the north west coast.

I hired my bike from Renner Bikes by the harbour in Playa Blanca. It was'nt the best (Trek 53/39 with 8 speed 105) but it did the job. I'm sure if you call ahead they would get others in, as they have another shop in Puerto del Carmen. The cost was 19 euros for the day.

All in all, a geat place for an early spring break in the sun, nice hotels, nice & quiet, & the cycling is good. Thoroughly recommend.