Help - advice wanted by a novice!

Richard Terry
Richard Terry Posts: 8
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I am looking at buying my first semi-serious bike. I'm not sure how much it will get used, so only want to spend uo to £400. I plan on using it mainly to get/keep fit, rather than any serious road riding or racing.
I have tried a few local shops, but still cant decide what to go for! All I know is that it has to have straight bars because I have back problems and the conventional road position is too uncomfortable.

Essentially my chocies are down to;
Giant FCR 3.0
Scott Speedster S60
Trek 7.3fx
Specialized Sirrus

Does anyone have any advice on how to choice, or have any experiences (good or bad!) on any of these rides?

Many thanks

Comments

• El Nino 9
    El Nino 9 Posts: 22
    Hi,

Before buying brand new have a look to see what you can buy used, you may get a lot more bike for your money and something as good as new. I bought a used Cannondale a few years ago for a third of it's original price and loved it.

Just make sure whatever you have, it fits!

Good luck!
  • Hi Richard - good luck with your choosing! I had a Specialized Sirrus two or three years back - a good, fast bike, but the frame cracked just above the bottom bracket! I don't know if this is a common fault or very rare - but it was my experience...I'd bought it second hand, so couldn't go back to Specialized to get it replaced.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    IAll I know is that it has to have straight bars because I have back problems and the conventional road position is too uncomfortable.

Many thanks

My back is rubbish, but cycling on drop handlebars does not effect it at all :shock: Hurt the muscles in the small of my back quite badly a few weeks ago, can't lift anything and can't lean forward if unsupported, but amazingly can cycle (as long as i avoid the bumpy bits) without any hassle. If the saddle was too high so that my hips rocked it would be a different matter. Might be worth a little further investigation to see if the flat bars are absolutely essential.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • georgieb
    georgieb Posts: 44
    Hi Richard,

Just a thought - but might be worth seeing if your work does a 'ride to work scheme' - that way you'd be able to get more for your money because you ultimately save about 40% off the price because it's tax free.

Good luck with the new bike!
  • feel wrote:
    IAll I know is that it has to have straight bars because I have back problems and the conventional road position is too uncomfortable.

Many thanks

My back is rubbish, but cycling on drop handlebars does not effect it at all :shock: Hurt the muscles in the small of my back quite badly a few weeks ago, can't lift anything and can't lean forward if unsupported, but amazingly can cycle (as long as i avoid the bumpy bits) without any hassle. If the saddle was too high so that my hips rocked it would be a different matter. Might be worth a little further investigation to see if the flat bars are absolutely essential.

i agree have had back problems myself but never found road bars to be a problem you should have a look at some different road bikes as some have a much more relaxed touring geometry than some of the more head down style racing geometry bikes.If you find one that is comfortable im sure you would enjoy the benefits especially on longer rides. hope im not confusing you even more :?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just reiterating on the fit factor. Make sure it fits you! Good luck with your choice.
  • Thanks for all the help!

I have tried the cycle scheme, but as I live about 25 miles from work they dont seem to think I'll be riding in everyday! Lame excuse if you ask me!!

I plan on trying a couple of my lbs over the next couple of weeks, so may try a 'traditional' bike before I make my final decision... the only problem then being that increases my choice about ten fold!