New Rider

Timmo88
Timmo88 Posts: 6
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey

Decided the other day to get into mountain biking. Was just wondering what equipment i needed and any tips etc.

Comments

• welcome :)

you need to start by getting a mountain bike. :wink:
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    Start off with a bike and some basic kit like a helmet, multi tool, pump, lubes, spare tubes... You can get away with wearing normal jogging bottoms tucked into socks (yes I know it looks awefull... just go faster so noone notices) and a T shirt etc. Buying all the kit including clothing straight out would set you back quite a bit!

Later on you'll probably want more tools for more jobs, a camelbak (backpack with a water bag built in), padded shorts, MTB shoes, jurseys, jackets, lights, spare tyres for different rides, bike stand, lock, track pump, car rack.... etc etc.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    + gloves
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    To start with one or 2 bottles mounted on the bike should see you through most rides, but some sort of hydration pack makes it easier to drink on the fly. As has been said above, spare tubes, multi-tool, tyre levers, gloves, mini pump, lubes, helmet and a waterproof jacket (we live in the UK after all). A track pump with a pressure guage is useful too....
  • the one (non-bike) bit of kit I couldn't do without now is a good baselayer t-shirt to wick away the sweat. You can get a simple t-shirt from any 'outdoors' type shop- try Millets or Blacks and get something in the sale.. shop around and for 5-10quid you'll not appreciate any 'upgrade' more than a decent t-shirt over a cotton sweat catcher!
  • Timmo88
    Timmo88 Posts: 6
    Cheers guys. I got a bike already and gloves, computer thingy, pump and water bottle just basics really lol

My Bike: http://www.cbcbikestore.co.uk/index.php ... id=20&cat=