Specialized Allez

Daniel23
Daniel23 Posts: 75
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
hello lads,

I am about to buy my first road bike.. (next week or so), after doing a lot of research and looking at different bikes I have deceidid on the allez.. has anybody else on here got an alley? do you think this bike will be able to cope with sportives.. long rides etc, planning on getting some training done and entering a few sportives this summer.

Also is there anyone from Liverpool/merseyside on here who is intersted on going on some rides with a begginer :lol:

cheers, Daniel.
The New Guy

Comments

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    This will be of absolutely no help, but I have also decided on an Allez myself and test rode one at the weekend. I liked it.

I found that there are a lot of people on this forum with good things to say about it.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • lugster77
    lugster77 Posts: 50
    i've an 07 allez and cant fault it. did john o'groats- lands end on it no problems. good dependable stuff, fit for upgrading bits and bobs as they wear out if it takes your fancy. regularly go for day long rides on it with no discomfort
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've an 2006 Allez Sport and its far more capable than I am (despite this I'm busy picking its replacement :P) and have found it very comfortable. I haven't done a century on it but I've done plenty of 50-66 mile runs on it.

Only gripe was the wheels which were pretty naff. A set of Fulcrum 5's, Aksiums or affordable Shimano wheels would sort that out though.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've also got an Allez - a 2005 Allez Elite, which has been very good. I agree on the wheels upgrade, I'll be doing that too this year funds allowing.

A very comfortable bike to ride.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    I'm late 40's and have ridden halfords hacks for years and I bought a new allez double in January and love it.
    I've got a 2007 Allez Sport.

It's brilliant.

Go for it, the frame is excellent and you can easily upgrade.

I'm nearly 43 and as has been said above, the bike is more capable than me.

I changed the tyers to Vittoria Rubino Pros to reduce puncture risk

40-50-60 odd miles, no probs

I love it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    2002 Allez and 8500 miles later still going grand

mind you I've upgraded nearly all compoenents excpet rear mech
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • I was thinking of getting one too...
    looks like I made the right decision...! :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yep I've owned one in the past, great bike. Sold it to a mate who is still using it, no problems at all so far and it's 4 years old now I think.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Don't have one but every Allez owner I've ever spoken to absolutely loves their bike. Agree with poster above - worth changing the wheels for a set of Mavic Aksiums or similar if you can afford it but that's the same with any 'entry level' bike: wheels are always the bit they skimp on.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    edited March 2008
    I've got the std 2007 model; it's black with nice looking silver graphics.
    It's an excellent bike that I would highly recommend.

My only upgrade so far is Kool Stop brake pads (£14), which made a huge difference in braking performance. The pads that came with the bike are cr@p. (added - I also installed double sided SPDs, which are great for commuting and not bad for longer rides)

However, I've recently purchased some Tiagra shifters second hand for £20 so will be upgrading to 9 speed when the Sora components need replacing.
    I was perfectly happy with Sora (changing from the drops is no problem for me), but when I saw the cheap shifters I thought, 'may as well upgrade to 9 speed'.

I will also upgrade the wheels when funds allow.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Agree with everyone - great bike.

The headtube is a bit longer than some other bikes at this price point, so it can be set-up to be pretty comfortable but is still an exciting, lively, rewarding ride.

I did Centuries and sportives on mine, then later bought a Roubaix as 'best' and now ride the Allez as Winter bike, part-time commuter, or for training.

The frame is well worth upgrading, not the limiting factor, so you could upgrade it as things wear out or just because you have money burning a hole in your pocket...

The wheels on any bike at this price point will be the weakest link, won't be any different on a Trek or Giant or whatever.
    What comes with the bike will work fine, but you can replace them for not too much and get far better wheels - Shimano WHR550's for instance are ca £70.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Got my allez late Summer last year, first road bike in 20 years and I love it. Clipless pedals are the only change I have made to her so far, although she will have new wheels on her very soon. :P Er, am only changing the wheels because everyone says they are the weakest link on the bike, even though Im fully aware its actually me :oops:
  • Daniel23
    thanks for all the replys.. hopefully getting my allez on friday... pending i find another 200 quid .

anyone for a ride in a week or two around merseyside?
    The New Guy
  • I went to test ride it today and it felt great!
    not the lightest, but very stiff and responsive and incredibly comfortable!
    can't wait to get my hands on one!!!
  • i have one.................. i'd sleep with it if the wife would let me.
  • i have the allez expert and love it ,have had it for 18 months and never had any problems apart from a loose front wheel bearing ,a quick adjustment and its back to itself .done alot of miles and always found it comfortable and reliable .think it is a great bike and you wont be disapointed
  • mr-ed
    mr-ed Posts: 130
    I bought my first road bike in 2006 after not riding for years, was well into when I was 10-11, now 19. Everything on it is usable its worth upgrading (as bits fall apart) to 105, the shifters and the cranks should last longer. I've upgraded the wheels to Mavic Aksiums also. Basically its a decent bike to use everyday, I've got no problems riding it all day, defiantly worth upgrading if you get the use out of it. The only thing I have noticed is flex in the bottom bracket, dunno weather its a combination of the bike getting old, me getting stronger or just it always did but since I've got a carbon race bike I've started noticing it. Actually the new 08 ones have a carbon rear i think? So yeah good riding!
  • greeko33
    greeko33 Posts: 42
    Another satisfied owner here!

Have had the 2005 Allez for 2 years and has served me well on many a commute and fun ride. Have good memories of 3 ascents up ventoux with it and will be sorry to see it go next week when i sell it

Will post in classified next week if anyone is interested (58cm Compact Allez)

Only selling as i now own a Focus Cayo :lol:
  • Daniel23
    I picked my new allez up today.. its amaizing.. my first road bike so its all new to me but i cant beleive the spped and the responsivness from it... best 450 quid ive evr spent.. cant wait to go out on a long ride this sunday... just need a helmet, pump, punture repair kit and computer now... then im don :P e!
    The New Guy
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    my first road bike so its all new to me but i cant beleive the spped and the responsivness from it.
    Good isn't it. :)
    My Allez was my first road bike (I had a tourer like bike with drops and brakes on tops when I was about 10/11) but yes, I quite vividly remember the acceleration and speed taking me by surprise. I was coming from a cheap Diamondback full-susser which I think weighed about 18Kg but even so to drop to a Allez (10-10.5Kg?) was a revelation.
  • jenster88
    jenster88 Posts: 27
    Been thinking about getting allez sport, is it worth paying the extra to get the elite?