My terrifying new bike

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I've finally replaced my old hybrid with a Focus Mares Cross, and it's simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying to ride! :D Combine that with a simultaneous switch to clipless pedals and it's a wonder I'm still alive after a 30km ride! Not having ridden a road bike before I can only assume that Wiggle have set it up correctly, and I'm happy the saddle position is correct. But leaning forward to get to the hoods is an interesting position (don't get me started on the drops :shock: ) - only now have I managed to scrape the grin off my face!

Some observations after coming from a hybrid: It's so fast - oh my God it's fast! It's so light! The handling is incredibly twitchy, feeling like a jet fighter after coming from a fully loaded barge. I'm having some problems with actually taking my hands off the bars to signal, though, and switching from drops to hoods was achieved with a precarious hand-walk. I suspect that I'm putting too much weight on the bars so I'll have to try sitting further back in the saddle or moving it further back.

Right, I might have another go soon when I've stopped shaking... :twisted:

Phekdra

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I like to compare it with driving an old fiesta and then getting into porsche!!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    A lot of people mention twitchiness of road bikes, its odd I went from a hybrid to a road bike and never found it twitchy at all, but I did however find an old peugeot road bike horribly twitchy, but put that down to the horrificly long stem it was fitted with...

I dont have any problems leaning to the hoods thats quite upright on my bike, moving to the drops doesnt seem a big issue for me, although I do take care to slow down just a little before I do so... Wonder if its got something to do with the compact geometry on my bike, or possible because Ive got the flippable stem set tot he sloping up position rather than sloping down?

I love my road bike so so fast
  • Phekdra
    I like to compare it with driving an old fiesta and then getting into porsche!!

It certainly looks like a Porsche - I've never seen anything so beautiful in my entire life! My commute time would be considerably improved if I didn't spend a good ten minutes just gazing lovingly at it before going for a ride! No clipless falls yet, although I did have an embarrassing moment trying to reach the ground whilst sitting on the saddle, which I could do with my old bike but can't with this one. And managed an inadvertent endo before I realized how strong mini V-breaks are. :oops:

I think my seat position is okay as I don't have any problem supporting myself with my hands off the bars, and I'm within the limits of the usual kneecap-crank fore-aft test. I think I'll just have to concentrate on leaning back a bit when shifting position.

Phekdra
  • Phekdra wrote:
    The handling is incredibly twitchy, feeling like a jet fighter after coming from a fully loaded barge.
    Phekdra

Thats just what I thought when I made the move from hybrid to drop road bike. Really twitchy at first but it does not take long to get used to it. Interestingly after the first ride my thumbs hurt from hooking them over the hoods. Next it was my lower back and neck after about 50 miles. Now the only things that feel strain are my feet and my upper arms after about 80 miles or so. All these things disappear after a few rides. I still don't feel as comfortable getting out of the saddle as I do on a flatbar though and going up hill I stay seated most of the time.
  • Phekdra
    Interestingly after the first ride my thumbs hurt from hooking them over the hoods.

Same here - the primary incentive for trying the drops was because my thumbs were killing me. Not helped by the fact I was so eager to try the bike out I forgot to put my gloves on.
    I still don't feel as comfortable getting out of the saddle as I do on a flatbar though and going up hill I stay seated most of the time.

I felt the same the first couple of times I tried it. The bike is so light and the riding position so far forward I felt as though I was only seconds from disappearing over the front wheel or flipping it on it's side. But I think I've got the hang of it now and managed the whole of the persistent climb up to my house out of the saddle, something I could never manage on my old bike. Then a woman in a people carrier coming the other way pulled in to let me have right of way. I don't think I was dreaming... :?

Phekdra
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Fantastic :D

I've only had my roadbike a few months and can clearly remember that "fighter jet" feeling, and the finger walk from drops to hoods :lol: (not that I'm much better even now :oops: )

Mind you, that 1st ride was slightly marred by the fact that when I finally managed to walk my fingers round to the brakes and give them a tentative squeeze the whole bar slid gracefully downwards as in my haste to assemble it and rush out for a spin I forgot that I hadn't tightened the stem :oops:

The first time i got up out the saddle I really thought the whole affair was just going to sprawl out sideways in the road, its amazing just how different it feels isn't it 8)

Enjoy your new ride, it certainly sounds as if you have so far 8)

cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    This is all encouraging stuff for me.

I got my bike last weekend and tried pedalling out of the saddle for the first time yesterday. I didn't so much stand as shift myself forwards and hover about an inch above the top tube. I'm going to work on that technique!
  • Phekdra wrote:

Same here - the primary incentive for trying the drops was because my thumbs were killing me. Not helped by the fact I was so eager to try the bike out I forgot to put my gloves on.

Phekdra

I actually find that gloves make it worse... they seem to give me cramp in my thumbs, so I dread having to wear them on cold mornings.

Glad you are enjoying your 'big boy's bike' though. They are truly awesome pieces of machinery! :)
  • Phekdra wrote:
    I've finally replaced my old hybrid with a Focus Mares Cross, and it's simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying to ride! :D Combine that with a simultaneous switch to clipless pedals and it's a wonder I'm still alive after a 30km ride! Not having ridden a road bike before I can only assume that Wiggle have set it up correctly, and I'm happy the saddle position is correct. But leaning forward to get to the hoods is an interesting position (don't get me started on the drops :shock: ) - only now have I managed to scrape the grin off my face!

Some observations after coming from a hybrid: It's so fast - oh my God it's fast! It's so light! The handling is incredibly twitchy, feeling like a jet fighter after coming from a fully loaded barge. I'm having some problems with actually taking my hands off the bars to signal, though, and switching from drops to hoods was achieved with a precarious hand-walk. I suspect that I'm putting too much weight on the bars so I'll have to try sitting further back in the saddle or moving it further back.

Phekdra

Imagine how much better it would be if was tailor fitted to you instead of just out of a box?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The first road bike I tried was my Dad's (similar height and build to me so it was a reasonable fit). I came back in from a quick 10 miles on a summer's evening with a fixed grin plastered across my face. It just felt amazing compared to my hybrid. Ford Fiesta to a Porsche describes it perfectly.

When I first got my own road bike I had the sore thumbs thing, thought it was very twitchy, hit my inner thigh on the headset the first few times I tried climbing out of the saddle and did the finger walking thing to move from the hoods to the drops. Your balance and bike handling skills all improve with time, and before you know it you'll be flinging the thing about with reckless abandon. :twisted:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ...before you know it you'll be flinging the thing about with reckless abandon. :twisted:
    I can't wait! :D

I have to say, this Forum is just great. Despite the fact that we've probably all cycled before, there's such a massive difference between a 'normal' bike and a proper built-for-speed-and-handling road bike.

It's been really encouraging to hear people having the same issues as me. Sore hands, twitchy handling, difficulty getting up hills and problems out of the saddle. It's also great to hear from people who have been through all that, overcome it and can now share their experience with the rest of us.

Bikeradar: I salute you! :)
  • Phekdra
    Nuggs wrote:
    It's been really encouraging to hear people having the same issues as me. Sore hands, twitchy handling, difficulty getting up hills and problems out of the saddle. It's also great to hear from people who have been through all that, overcome it and can now share their experience with the rest of us.

Agreed - after my first journey, a quick jaunt from which I returned in a state of shock, I was afraid that there was something wrong with either myself or my bike. It's nice to know that the bike is meant to be like that :D and I'm quickly becoming addicted to just how maneuverable and downright fast it is. Can't wait to take it for another spin tomorrow morning... if my rear end recovers in time. I know the Mares Cross is a cyclocross bike - basically a road bike with nobbly tires and I was planning on getting some lighter wheels and road tires for the summer, but given the abuse my poor backside has taken on the roads around here I think I might stick with the nobbly tires! Anyway, I don't think I could go any faster without ending up in a hedge or in the river. :D

Phekdra
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Hehe - glad you're enjoying all this fun .... just a word of caution (boring ole git :wink: ) .... keep a close eye on the road surfaces when you're flying around (damp patches, leaves and especially manhole covers 'mid-corner')!

Very easy to lose the back wheel (or the front one for that matter :) )

Enjoy ... but keep those eyes peeled (it happens to everyone eventually) ... the tarmac really bites and once you've felt it you'll have mucho respect for it :twisted:

It's great to be .....
  • wet manhole covers are the worst, there's nothing more gusset spoiling than losing your front wheel mid corner into the face of an oncoming truck....
  • Phekdra
    pjh wrote:
    Hehe - glad you're enjoying all this fun .... just a word of caution (boring ole git :wink: ) .... keep a close eye on the road surfaces when you're flying around (damp patches, leaves and especially manhole covers 'mid-corner')!

Very easy to lose the back wheel (or the front one for that matter :) )

Enjoy ... but keep those eyes peeled (it happens to everyone eventually) ... the tarmac really bites and once you've felt it you'll have mucho respect for it :twisted:

Ah, nothing to worry about there - I've already fallen off quite spectacularly on my old hybrid and still have the discolouration of the knee to prove it. Worse was that there was nobody within a hundred yards of me - I just lost control trying to signal whilst pedalling against a gusting wind. :oops: Took about a month to heal - ouch. I now take corners at roughly walking pace in the rain!

Manhole covers I've come to avoid whenever it's remotely wet after a couple of close calls. In fact I'm getting palpitations just thinking about it!

Phekdra
  • spot on
    spot on Posts: 2
    I rather enjoy my Ford Fiesta. Easy to park. Decent mileage. Quite sure the styling will come back in vogue.
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    This is such a reassuring thread.

I recently bought a flat-bar 'fast commuter', a Ridgeback T1. It's basically a road frame with flat bars, but even this feels scary after riding an MTB. Much more head down position, and soooo much faster and lighter. It's brilliant, but it really does take a bit of getting used to - and I can't imagine going out without a helmet (I used to settle for a wee cycling cap in summer or a beanie in winter). zoooom... :shock:
  • disney
    disney Posts: 51
    Phekdra wrote:

Phekdra

I have the cross expert version and your observations are correct. It goes exactly where you want it to go. A great machine off or on the road. You will want to alter your 'fit' to be more comfortable. I changed the stem for a higher rise and seat ( which is very hard) for a Rido seat and put on some race blades. The Schwalbe tyres puncture easily in the wet so I put on some Specialize armadillo 32's which were much better for general purposes. I now have a very comfortable ride with a go anywhere advantage and which can also go at a very fast pace with good handling.
    You will get used to it incredibly quickly. Then go have a ride on your old machine and notice the difference!
  • Phekdra
    disney wrote:
    I have the cross expert version and your observations are correct. It goes exactly where you want it to go. A great machine off or on the road. You will want to alter your 'fit' to be more comfortable. I changed the stem for a higher rise and seat ( which is very hard) for a Rido seat and put on some race blades. The Schwalbe tyres puncture easily in the wet so I put on some Specialize armadillo 32's which were much better for general purposes. I now have a very comfortable ride with a go anywhere advantage and which can also go at a very fast pace with good handling.
    You will get used to it incredibly quickly. Then go have a ride on your old machine and notice the difference!

I was thinking of doing something similar regarding the tyres. I don't want to waste the Ralphs on road riding so I've ordered a pair of Mavic Aksium wheels (which I think come as standard on the Expert) and I'm going to fit some tough road tyres for my daily commute and weekend riding. Then when I feel like doing something a bit more off-roady I can swap the wheels around.

I'm slowly getting used to the new riding position - climbing is great fun and I no longer wobble all over the place when signalling! Had my first clipless fall on the way home, though, stopping at some lights. It would have been terribly embarrassing except I was so stunned I just got back up, thanked the nice lady who handed me back my deodorant, and kept going. Only now am I feeling a bit shaky. :oops:

Phekdra
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Just on the Spesh Armadillos they have appauling rolling resistance. I had never used any other tyre as they came with my Sirrus Comp (hybrid) when I bought it and as I have never punctured I though why change a winning formula however I, like yourself, decided I wanted a road bike (next month hopefully though doing a Cayo probably) so I decided to try other things out in readiness for the switch. I bought a set of Michelin Pro2 Race tyres (pro3 about £4 more out now) and I can honestly say I didn't have a clue what good rolling was. They fly. The Spesh cost be about 1.5-2mph according the commutes and last Sunday's loop.

If you want puncture resistance at all costs then the Armadillos will serve you well however if you want something which offers a middle ground between good rolling and puncture resistance then the Armadillos shouldn't even figure in your considerations.

That of course is just my experience and as I haven't had the new tyres for very long I can't vouch for their puncture resistance however when I was considering my options these seem to get a good press. I guess time will tell for me.

Great thread though as it really gives me a flavour of what I can expect and I must admit it does make me a little more nervous about the switch though I can't imagine it will be any worse than when I recently changed to clipless and I have managed that change reasonably well.
  • Phekdra
    doyler78 wrote:
    Great thread though as it really gives me a flavour of what I can expect and I must admit it does make me a little more nervous about the switch though I can't imagine it will be any worse than when I recently changed to clipless and I have managed that change reasonably well.

Having changed to clipless simultaneously I'd say you've already done the hardest part - the rest of my first week was pure nerve-shredding exhilaration! Just don't go too fast at first and practice riding one handed on straight roads when there's no traffic about... :D

Phekdra
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Roger_This wrote:
    This is such a reassuring thread.

I recently bought a flat-bar 'fast commuter', a Ridgeback T1. It's basically a road frame with flat bars, but even this feels scary after riding an MTB. Much more head down position, and soooo much faster and lighter. It's brilliant, but it really does take a bit of getting used to - and I can't imagine going out without a helmet (I used to settle for a wee cycling cap in summer or a beanie in winter). zoooom... :shock:

I have just got the T3 and my god is it twitchy after riding my Claud Butler Hybrid.

For the 1st time my shoulders were aching during a ride.