Newbie needs motivation

teaboy
teaboy Posts: 14
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, just signed up i have an Orange subzeo which suits my large build (wrong side of 18 stone- yes i know FB LOL) i just have problems with motivating myself to get out there and use it. Its been 20 months or so since i have ridden properly so looking for advice, encouragement etc.
What realistic targets should i aim for, miles per week that sort of thing.

Thanks guys

Rich

Comments

• HixX
    HixX Posts: 90
    If I need any motivation, I buy some new gear. Pants, handlebars, whatever. New bits always make me wanna go ride, just to try em out. Its can be an expensive motivator mind you :)
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • Paul_GT
    Paul_GT Posts: 53
    Wereabouts are you teaboy,you maybe able to get a couple of people to go with you,i've only just got my bike to brought my son and girlfriend one so they come along with me.
  • teaboy
    I live in the Handsworth area of Sheffield.
    It would be good to find a few people like myself to go out with, but i think my lack of fitness at the moment would be a hinderence, but if there is anyone else locally who would'nt mind doing a few miles with an unfit 39 year old, then that would be great.

I think my first step should be cycling to work and not taking the car as its only a couple of miles or so but quite hilly and see what happens after that.

I think a bit of motivational shoping would help also,
    Rich
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I did a skills course on Friday.Now that has really given me motivation.
    I now just want to ride,and put all my new found skills into practice.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Doesn't neccessarily need to be expensive, just buy some mags look on net etc. Take some inspiration and get out there, leaving the house is the hardest part, once your out I'm sure you'll love it, then all you need to do is remember last time and you'll be out all the time.
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    i i need motivation for anything i just read Lance Armstrongs books, whether its bikes or anything else in life.
    for your aims/goals make them realistic, do monthly targets and write them down, you can cross them off once you have reached that target, break yourself in gently.
    goals are more easily achieved if they are written down, good luck :)
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I find just getting a bus and looking out the window at all the countryside and woodland makes me want to ride. It makes me desperate to find out how to get there and see what it's like. If I need more than that I put daytime TV on..... that's enough to get me out of the house!
  • teaboy
    batch78 wrote:
    Doesn't neccessarily need to be expensive, just buy some mags look on net etc. Take some inspiration and get out there, leaving the house is the hardest part, once your out I'm sure you'll love it, then all you need to do is remember last time and you'll be out all the time.
    I agree with the leaving the house being the hardest bit, i just need to make the effort and do it instead of thinking about it
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I always say the best motivation is to get out there and ride, you will soon be having so much fun you will forget what was keeping you in.

Best way to keep a ride time is organise a group ride
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Hiya,

I found myself in a similar position last year. I've been MTBing for almost 10 years but for various reasons I've hardly ridden for the last 3-4 years and at over 17 stone (and pain fully unfit) decided that getting back on the bike was the best way to shed a few pounds.

In order to motivate myself I entered a sponsored bike ride for charity and harrassed my friends, family and work colleagues into sponsoring me for so much money that to fail was unthinkable. My chosen charity was the British Heart Foundation and the ride was the Robin Hood ride from Sherwood Pines up to Clumber Park and back, a total of 36 miles. I gotta tell ya that it hurt, lots, but the feeling of achievement afterwards was unbelievable, both in a personal sense and I had also raised over £1000 for a worthwhile cause.

I was hoping to set myself up for a number of similar events this year but a back problem and also possibly surgery on a long-standing knee injury looks to have messed up that idea.

If you're in Sheffield I can think of no better way to get back on the bike than to get yourself up to Ladybower Reservoir and take a gentle ride around the water. I love that ride for a starting point and use it as a benchmark to see how my fitness is going. Once my back is sorted and I know what's happening with my knee I would be more than happy to join you. :idea:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • teaboy
    Cheshley, first of all good on ya for raising money for a worthy cause and secondly i would be up for a gentle ride out when your backs sorted, never even thought about ladybower, i may give it a go soon. but will probably start on the TPT from rothervalley towards Chesterfield which is a nice undulating trail and not too severe
  • read lance armstrong's autobiography `it's not about the bike` (it REALLY is worth the read) and watch long way round with charlie and ewan
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Motivation is such a personal thing.
    Perhaps join a website such as www.cyclogs.co.uk or www.bikejournal.com to log your miles. This may help you see that you are actually achieving something. You could set yourself a target for the month, week, or year etc.
    The trick is not to get too eager and / or set your goals too high.

Bike riding is meant to be enjoying in my opinion. If you don't enjoy it then perhaps take up darts? :D
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I think EVERYONE should read Lance Armstrong's book, not just cyclists. Quite possibly the most inspiring and emotional book I've read.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • teaboy
    Well i have finally got off my ample behind and been out on my bike.Why oh Why did i stop riding it.really enjoyed the open air, passed plesentrys with complete strangers, and genrally enjoyed every minute.

Seeing as its almost 2 years since my last proper ride i thought it best to stick to the flatish trails that i know but even so i think my fitness is a little better than i gave myself credit for but should improve quite quickly if i keep up the good work i have now started.

So how often should i ride, as i don't want to be a slave to it but want some benifits from reasonably regular excersize. I was thinking 3 times a week to start for about an hour or so

Todays ride was 10 miles which i covered in 58 minutes with just a 1 minute stop half way to compose myself and tuck myself back in etc so pretty pleased with that.

Thanks all for you inputs so far and for helping me make up my mind to get out there

Rich