Wing bars

jasonm945
jasonm945 Posts: 134
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Ok, so I have my road bike at last, and I was just scanning the shops and spotted some wing bars some thing like these.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17330
Apart from the obvious comfort issues, as I tend to use the flat part of the bar at the top, what other improvements doe these have over normal bars, and where does the tape go to, as when I look at these-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24373
it looks like tape would fill the indents...

Jay

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I had ITM Luxe Wing bars on my Bianchi and the tape stopped at the bend above the levers. I didn't find them comfortable at all, now swapped out for round FSA bars - which reminds me I must put the wing bars in readers ads!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got Cinelli Vai wing shaped bars, and the tape goes all the way to the end.

Taken from a previous post:

dsc00537ck0.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have cinelli ram bars and I have not got tape along the wings. I have done over a hundred miles rides like this and did not find it uncomfortable. Some bars like the ones above dont need tape(and when they look good you want to show them off).

I have wing shaped bars on my other bike and find them much more comfortable than standard round shaped bars - especially on big climbs. I suppose its what your feel comfortable with
    Brian B.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I've got those FSA k-wing bars. I didn't pay £139 for them though! I got them second hand for £50. Like Redd, I taped all the way to where the cables come out as I preferred the look and feel of it. They are a pain to thread the cables by the way. The flat bits are nice though. Certainly noticeably more comfortable. Look on Roadbikereview though as not everyone likes the shape. Personal preference though.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    My bars also have the indents, the bars have built in cable guides so you can tape them just past the hoods......... 8)

252385523_E2UG7-M-1.jpg
  • I am a fan of the K-Wings.

n524320927_790546_6953.jpg

And

n524320927_810781_7394.jpg

Very comfortable, but the slight setback angle does irritate my ulnar nerve and I get numb hands after 4 or 5 hours....

Tape on the drops only. The tops are fine and look cool as you like with no tape!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    You might want to have a look at the classifieds, wing bar fans. Not mine btw.