Gearing Help

ru--
ru-- Posts: 27
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hello! My winter bike has an Ofmega Linea chainset with 52/42 chainrings and a 13-24 7 speed cassette on the back. I am looking to get a sightly wider selection of gears as I'm finding the hills around here a bit tough with this set up (especially when compared with the 105 compact chainset on my summer bike!).

Would the 11-34 version of this: http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 20Cassette
be compatible and would it make much of a difference?

Also, how hard would it be to switch to a compact chainset?

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    It's the rear changer that will determine wether it's OK. For upwards of 28t you need a changer from the mountain bike range. The chainset has no bearing on this.
    Chris
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I bought a bike with a double (52/42) and regretted it (well it was very cheap but wish i had spent a tad more and got a tripple)

Anyway, i ended up changing the front chainset to a compact, 34/50 to start with. Should need no change to yourset up (except maybe lowering teh front mech, and adjusting the chainlengh)

Then when i found a cheap mountain bike rear mech, i changed the rear cassette to a 11-32, got some very low gearing.
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Psymoon
    Psymoon Posts: 6
    Hi There

Im in a similar situation with 52 - 42 chainrings and a 13 - 23 on the rear.

If I were to put a cassette such as a 11-28 on the back do I understand from Chris' post I would not need to replace the changer. What about chain length?

Sorry to hijack thread but felt it was of some relevence.

Many thanks
  • ru--
    Anyway, i ended up changing the front chainset to a compact, 34/50 to start with. Should need no change to yourset up (except maybe lowering teh front mech, and adjusting the chainlengh)
    Cheers for the advice. I'm thinking about fitting one of these:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Al ... -13441.htm
    I'm a bit confused about bottom brackets... I'm pretty sure the bike has a 'tapered square bottom bracket' but what does the 110mm and 110pcd refer to? Width?

If I did fit this, how would I go about shortening chain length? Just take a few links out?

Cheers!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The 110mm refers to the length of your BB axle. This is usually marked on the end of the axle or just behind the taper. If not then measure it.
    The 110pcd (or BCD) is the diameter of the chain ring fixing bolt circle. All compacts are this size. Standard chainsets are 130 or 135 pcd.
    You may not need to shorten the chain at all. Try it first. The difference between a 52 ring and a 50 is only 1 full link so that is the most you should need to remove. As long as the chain is under tension when on the small / small combination then it is OK.
  • ru--
    The 110mm refers to the length of your BB axle

My axle says 10.9cm... I'm guessing the extra millimeter is unimportant?

Cheers.