Should I cycle on days off also? Cycling a-b to work 5 days.

LaurenceGough
LaurenceGough Posts: 218
edited March 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Hello guys,

Just a question really I've been cycling for a long time now, nothing serious mostly just on road from when I was a kid.

My last job involved a 7-8 mile trip there and then a 7-8 mile trip back home, I could do 7-8 miles in around ~40 mins. (Up and down hills)

This job was about half a year ago, I disliked it and I've now started a new job about a month ago.

I'm cycling to this one also it's about 4 miles (there and then another 4 back again) and I do it in ~20mins (Path cycling) each way. Hills involved once again but the thing is I still get so tired when going up hills, everyday...

It seems my muscles won't grow any more... And I've been cycling on hills for a while now.

Should I rest more, or should I cycle more on my two days off? Do the muscles have to regenerate?

Thank you. (Just ask if you need any more info)
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).

Comments

• endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Is it lactic acid build up, or just a fatigue problem?

If it's lactic acid, I'd suggest getting out of the saddle for the hills (like spinning at the gym). Do that for a few weeks and you'll be destroying any hill that comes your way, and you won;t even be out of breath.

If it a ftigue problem, then it may be something to do with diet?! Cut out any processed cr@p and stick with natural foods. Whole wheats, organic fruit and veg, and meat/poultry/fish protein. I changed my diet from junk (crisps, chocolate, etc) and other general processed cr@p to a healthy natural diet, and now I feel re-energised and alive again!

Also, 4 miles isn't really far, as far as cycling is concerned, so you're not really building up any endurance strength from it. Maybe adjust your route to make it a bit longer? Easier to do now the days are getting longer!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • Well I can make it up there fine I just get tired doing it, all the rest of the journey is fine. It's a pretty steep long hill.

I stick to healthy food the best I can I haven't had fast food in almost a year!

Perhaps I need to kick it into a even lower gear and go for it, I normally stay in the saddle and go into a lowish gear as I was told this was the best way on these forums.

I know 4 miles isn't far I don't have a problem with it, it's just the hill. I would rather not work is hard enough as it is, haha and I can't leave any earlier from home.

I went out today anyway, it was to windy to do my other hobby so I went to the woods, haven't had such fun in a long time. I just washed my bike the other day and now it's all muddy again!!!! :roll: Coated :D. :evil:
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    spinning is the way forwards. Easy gear, high revs.

To improve your fitness you really need to keep pushing yourself. Try and get your time down a bit, really go for it, then you should start to feel better. Also vary the way you ride in. Sometimes go flat out, others pick one gear and stay in it the whole way.

Ideally you should have a day off, but if it is only eight miles a day i cannot see the harm in it, i used to cycles 36miles a day and still ride at the weekends.