What To Drink ?

02walkerj
02walkerj Posts: 80
edited March 2008 in Health, fitness & training
What thinks are good for drinking when out on a long bike ride?
Are sugar filled drinks, like Red Bull any good?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• baccaman21
    baccaman21 Posts: 523
    Red bull makes you wee... plus it contains taurine which is a banned substance in certain countries.

It's ok I guess for an instant hit but I'd be inclined to steer away from it and choose something a little more in tune with your metabolism.

There's a massive range of 'energy'/sports drinks... they all pretty much do the same thing - i.e. rehydrate and replace lost salts and sugars to your system.

Some sugar is better than others but at the end of the day sugar is sugar and too much of it isn't a good idea... not least it rots your teeth - but too much will just convert to stored energy in the form of fat - unless you work out enought to burn the sugar off, of course.

There's an open debate about what to drink on long rides... some say just water, some say energy/sports drinks... There's science behind it all... I think ultimately it comes down to personal choice and experience.

If I'm doing a really hard ride I'll dose up with energy/sports powders in the old camelbak... if it's an easy ride, I'll stick to water and the odd snack...
    get on your bikes and ride!
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    redbull gives me indigestion
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    water is a must, but yeh those home made energy drinks are great, a must also on long rides
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    red bull is rubbish because it doesn't really have enough sugar to replace what you burn when the caffine/taurine kicks in. Not to mention being fizzy.

I rate the lucozade sport drinks. Really good with a nice balance of sugar and electrolytes.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I wouldn't touch Red Bull for any purpose.

I've not come across the home made drinks mentioned above (though I'll give them a try), I have just switched to HighFive's 4:1 drinks. I find the mix of Carbs give a good energy boost when you're flagging but the protein also helps in recovery. I sometimes take a bottle with a nuun electrolyte tablet in it too because I used to get cramps in my calves but since using these tablet based drinks I don't any more.

HighFive will send you about £10 quid of samples if you complete the form on their website :arrow: http://www.highfive.co.uk/free%20sample/freesample.html

and also the new For Goodness Shakes carb and protein dring is offering a free sample from their website :arrow: http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/sample.aspx
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.