Help needed

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I am seriously considering treating myself to a new bike from Ribble using their bike builder, i am not sure when it comes to selecting cassettes and chain sets as to which ones are the best for me.
My riding ranges from a 9 mile each way commute to work to 100 mile weekend rides and i am looking at doing LeJog next year. I live in Suffolk so there are no real hills to climb on my rides.
Can someone explain to me why you would choose one size over another?
exercise.png

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hey FTO

Ribble is a nice company as I have just had a bike built there and everything does what its meant to etc.. build quality is not the best but if you want decent equipment at a decent price then you cant go wrong..

I got an Ultegra Double with a 53/39 chainset and a 13-25 Cassette. I dont tend to use the bigger 53 ring much at the moment as my legs are still not as strong as they should be -

The inner 39 Ring gets used alot so I can keep my cadence up and I seem to manage 16 - 18MPH on most rides -

I am going to replace the 13-25 cassette for a 16-27 because alot of my rides involve some big hills and I find I struggle just slightly up the ones with a very steep gradient so hopefully 16-27 cassette will make a slight difference..

hope this helps
    adios
    Doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Depends on your level of fitness and the terrain you ride over. I tend to use a 52/39 chainset and 12-23 cassette most of the time - I'll change the cassette for a 12-27 for a really hilly ride (Wales, Peak District) and even change the chainset for a 50/34 compact for climbing in the Alps etc. I probably ride 150 miles a week on average at lower end of club level cycling.

I would think a 39x26 bottom gear is probably enough to get you around Suffolk (52/39 with 12/26 cassette).