Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

damn wind

webbhostwebbhost Posts: 470
edited March 2008 in The bottom bracket
cant get sleep...! is it because of the noise or maybe becaue i cant wait to bike to work with 50 MPH gusts behind my back helping me along the way!?!?

• snap - just got up after one of the worst nights not sleep I can remember.

Gonna bake a chocolate cake instead

Gats
  • pdstsppdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Just going out - wind seems to be easing here a bit but don't know how long I'm going to do - still its better than the indoor trainer!
  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    Spent all yesterday afternoon putting up the signs for our reliability ride this Sunday................now I'm gonna have to drive round the route again and make sure the road signs I tied them to havn't blown over :x
  • meagainmeagain Posts: 2,774
    Aye, a bit breezy this a.m. Seemed to go sideways a few times. And only braking required downhill on the fixed when pointed west was to sit up!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • coco2coco2 Posts: 44
    ...but let's not forget the brilliant sunshine, just in from a 35 miler and feeling good
  • DoobzDoobz Posts: 2,800
    I am stuck in work till 4.30 - so hopefully the wind will have eased a little so I can do a few miles in the eve with a nice big one tomorrow
    cartoon.jpg
  • pdstsppdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Just back - three hours and feel a little wind blown but sun is shining and sun is warm. Feel so much better for having been out - may have a recuperative Guinness.
  • APIIIAPIII Posts: 2,010
    Bronzie wrote:
    Spent all yesterday afternoon putting up the signs for our reliability ride this Sunday................now I'm gonna have to drive round the route again and make sure the road signs I tied them to havn't blown over :x

Just been out for a couple of hours which involved riding part of the route. Can't say I noticed any signs....Then again I'm not known for my attention to detail :wink:
  • fossyantfossyant Posts: 2,549
    Did a quick 10 mile blast as had less that an hour before the kids were at swimming lessons - windy....flying on the way out, then hit the wind coming back.... buffeted wasn't the word...

Checking a slight adjustment to my cleat angle - knee OK - no complaints....
  • webbhostwebbhost Posts: 470
    gratsby what were you doing up so early lol?

I finally managed to get sleep at around 2AM... and I was back up at 6AM for work lol.
    Unfortunately the wind changed direction :oops:
  • geoff_ssgeoff_ss Posts: 1,234
    Did a bright, breezy 50 miles in the Peak District today. Somehow all the climbs were into the teeth of the wind.

There was a hilly TT laid out and we saw the marshalls but no riders. Not sure if it was the Belper or Matlock club event but I bet it was a hard 25 miles today.

I THINK my chest infection is gradually sorting itself out. I just hope I haven't aggravated it.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I'm always up early. 5 oclock everyday for work 4.30 on sundays for my ride and 6 on saturday cos its my rest day and I have a lie in!

Back from a nice 4 hour 65m slog through the wind this morning. Its lush and warm and have decided to retire the full length lycra and booties in favour of 3/4 lengths!

Gats
  • fossyantfossyant Posts: 2,549
    4 hour ride by 10 am - you need sanctioning !! :D opps "sectioning"
  • brbellybrbelly Posts: 35
    just back from a 25 miler, was great with the wind on my back 25-30 mph on the flat.

But i knew in the back of my mind i had to turn round at one point then the speed dropped to 12mph.

got home to look at the wind speeds 26mph average gusts of 46 mph.
  • heh heh heh - was actually back by 9 but was having breakfast!

I say its because I'm committed by my girlfriend says that I probably should be!

Gats :P
  • onceboyonceboy Posts: 30
    stayed in bed .mothers day today thought i,d give the wife a chance of a lie in.Looking after the kids. (Thats my excuse!) Bit windy out there . By this afternoon i,ll be climbing the walls :?
  • a_n_ta_n_t Posts: 2,011
    7:45 woke up
    7:46 looked out of the window [not good]
    7:47 back in bed.

8) its great this cycling lark!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Red RockRed Rock Posts: 517
    60 miles in just under 4 hours this morning, the furthest I've rode in over 15 years. Did lots of hills too, but it was a killer riding out into that wind on the flat bits. Wow, 60 miles and I felt great and could have gone further... I'm well pleased :D

Red Rock
  • pjhpjh Posts: 204
    flippin wind added a full 15 minutes to my normal 40 mile loop :oops:

Also I really suffered with cramp (which I don't normally) in my quads and calfs in the latter stages :? (any ideas .... other than having to work quite a bit harder?)

It's great to be .....
  • DoobzDoobz Posts: 2,800
    I am really gutted with the wind today.. was nice and sunny and I just hopped on my bike and did my normal 40mile route. Usually on the last leg of the run if its windy the wind comes in from behind.. Not today - blew in my face for the last 15 miles.. I was not happy at all. Average speed for the first 25 was 17.9mph and with the last 15 mile wind issue it dropped to 15.5 by the time I got home.. Ahh well not the end of the world.. Plenty more days to come,,
    pjh wrote:
    flippin wind added a full 15 minutes to my normal 40 mile loop :oops:

Also I really suffered with cramp (which I don't normally) in my quads and calfs in the latter stages :? (any ideas .... other than having to work quite a bit harder?)

Not sure for deffo mate but usually calf cramp can be caused by seating too far forward and a little too low as your calf muscle is not extending fully..
    cartoon.jpg
  • wind + broken spoke + rear mech failure + painful foot meant a 1 hr 40 ride took 2 hours :roll: good to be on the bike in the dry though....did 20 miles on the summer bike yesterday on new wheels and absolutely flew round woo hoo!