Road shoe - with forward cleat position

Mettan
Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Does anyone know of a Road shoe with a "reasonable - ish" forward placement of the Look 3 hole thread system?

As an example - is there anything out there with a more forward placement of the 3-hole Look than the Vagabond's below ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... R3%20Shoes

I'm looking for probably 0.5 to 0.75 cm approx further forward.

I'm aware of cleat placement - it's just not enough though :(

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A lot depends on the size of the shoe too IME - with smaller sizes and the shape of the sole means it's physically impossible to have the cleat further forward than a certain point. Suggest you visit a shop with a large range and see how they compare. FWIW Pearl Izumi and Nike are made by DMT and are likely to be similar. I've never had a problem getting a good cleat position with Sidis.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mettan
    Thanks Monty - I'm finding that even with forward cleat placement I'm still getting a sought of lack of power/see-saw effect almost as if the pedal's being pushed from the Arch to ball-of-foot area (which it is, sort of). I'm also tending to find that the front of my feet are too far over the front of the pedals - that's compounded by a smooth sole sliding unhelpfully on an ultra smooth front part of the pedal. All in all a sort of sloppy experience. (I've used Look Keo's and SPD-SL,s)

As said, I'll have to get down to a suitable LBS and take time over fitting/choices etc.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Have a look at Carnac, they seem to allow an unusually pronounced forward mount.
  • Mettan
    Thanks Rob.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The sole of the shoe should not touch the pedal at all, only the cleat should touch it. The ball of your foot should not be behind the pedal spindle. That is a sure recipe for sore calfs and achiles tendons. I fit my cleats so that the ball of the foot is about 1cm in front of the spindle and have never had any problems at all.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Adidas. Noted for forward drilling... and are 3 hole Look compatible to boot.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Mettan
    Thanks guys - I'll check out the Addidas range - noticed some Specialized shoes have a slightly more forward positioning than some others, aswell.