Upgrades to a Spesh Roubaix Comp

Pretre
Pretre Posts: 355
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Is it worth upgrading the chainset to Ultegra SL from it's current, non-series, R600 (Tiagra, according to Wiggle)?The rest of the groupset is 105 & so an upgrade does seem in order.
I'm not that bothered about saving a few grams but I am bothered about quality & durability.

I'm also considering changing the brakes - I assume Ultegra/Dura-Ace would still work with the 105 brake-levers? Bit of a stupid question but best to be sure before spending the cash.

Having read the forums, I've pretty much decided to go for Fulcrum Racing 3's for wheel upgrades.

Any other thoughts on possible upgrades? A body 15 yrs younger & 10kg lighter would be useful! :P

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd wait to upgrade your chainset and brakes until they get worn out - you'll barely notice the difference, whereas spending more on the wheels and tyres can make a difference. Spending money on contact points is worthwhile too - a better saddle can make a big difference to long-ride comfort as well as a lighter shoe/pedal in terms of energy expenditure
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Can I ask why you want to upgrade. I have just bought a roubaix comp and took it out for its first ride today. Must say I was really impressed with it, can't say I would want to upgrade anything on it, yet...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    thexvw wrote:
    Can I ask why you want to upgrade. I have just bought a roubaix comp and took it out for its first ride today. Must say I was really impressed with it, can't say I would want to upgrade anything on it, yet...

you will though - it's inevitable - the upgrade bug happens to most of us - it might just take you a little while to get there.

i agree with monty on this - don't bother chaning the chainset / brakes - you won't notice the difference and i thought that the R600 was actually aimed at 105 level anyway.

The wheels will make a nice differnce though - i you are not changing the chainset could you go better than R3's? - perhaps R1's would make a great choice - very well regarded wheels - lighter and stffer than the std fit roubaix wheels.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Thanks for the advice.
    I can't really justify splashing out for Racing 1's - too many other things to spend it on (unfortunately, not bike-related! :cry: )