Fitting a computer to a fat stem

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited March 2008 in Workshop
I want to fit my wireless Cateye Strada to my fat Time Monolink stem. The bracket isn't quite large enough. Anyone got a decent suggestion on how to do it? The bars are fat aswell, plus I like having my hands next to each other on the bars when on the straights so I want it on the stem.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Does it attach with cable ties? If so put a square/rectangle of double sided sticky foam under the computer mount and just use some long cable ties and pull it tight.

With my cheap Cateye velo computer on my commuter, as it's only supposed to mount on the bars but with some longer cable, I managed to bodge it on the stem. It's mounted pretty solidly .
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    I use one of these for my Garmin Edge

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/ITM/Co ... index.aspx
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • plus I like having my hands next to each other on the bars

just wondering - is that on the right side or the left side that you have your hands next to each other?
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I went for the front mount option.

252385399_RMSUB-M-1.jpg
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Well, I alternate! What can I say Gundersen...its just a habit I've got into even if it is a bit dangerous :lol:

I went for the electrical tape bodge in the end. Wonderful material that it is! Looks smart enough. Trouble was the cradle has a jubilee clip type arrangement attached but it wasn't long enough to get around the stem. I cut the clip bit off to just leave a cm of stump either side and taped it on from there. Sounds sh1t but it looks fine!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Made my own forward mount when I had a road bike for my flighdeck. Used a h/bar reflector bracket and a bit of inginuity.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.