Pinarello - Campag brake problem

APIII
APIII Posts: 2,010
edited March 2008 in Workshop
I'm just getting round to putting the new bike together and tried mounting the calipers, only to find the socket head nuts are too short! The forks are so deep that the bolt and nut don't even meet. Looking at the instructions it says the calipers are available with 3 different length nuts. Every retailer site I've been on doesn't mention this! I've had a quick search and can't find anywhere that sells spares. Does anyone know if they are standard bolts that can be bought elsewhere? There's a couple of people here with Prince's - I'd appreciate it if you could help me out!
cheers

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    As far as I know you buy the nuts you need as spare parts rather than buy brakesets with the right length nut in the first place.....if you want the 24mm nut then order a pair of BR-RE427 nuts from Mercian....the 18.5mm nut is BR-RE327.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick I'm pretty certain you can just nip down your local bike shop and get the longer nut for a couple of quid - that's what I did on a training frame that I had the same problem with.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick I'm pretty certain you can just nip down your local bike shop and get the longer nut for a couple of quid - that's what I did on a training frame that I had the same problem with.

but they might not be Campag OE and for some people that really matters :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Yeh, i'm pretty sure you can nip down to the lbs to get the longer part, think i did this with mine (just to have a more secure braking feel :oops: )
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    mrushton wrote:

but they might not be Campag OE and for some people that really matters :wink:

Yep I find Campag nuts wear in while sub-standard nuts wear out.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most brakes don't come with the right length of nuts these days - some bikes need longer ones on the rear too. Check the size of the nut flange against the recess in the back of the fork - some of the aftermarket nuts are too big to fit into the back of some forks. All brakes use standard 6mm threads, so no worries about inter-changeability, but only you know if you haven't fitted Campagnolo ones!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Thanks all. My LBS is gonna sort my nuts out, so to speak.