Need to Buy a Cycle Carrier this weekend !

poloman
poloman Posts: 15
edited February 2008 in Workshop
HELP !

I'm guessing this forum is a good place to start..... i need to buy a cycle carrier to fit my BMW 3 series - current shape - at some point this weekend. Here's the story : - Car urgently needs new brake pads - only place to fix it is Bath's BMW Dealer - I live 2 miles from Bristol - Bath cycle path - need to leave car all day - i plan to take bike on back - cycle back to home office and go back at end of day. i get 25 miles worth of cycle fitness thrown in - my god i need it !
Can anyone recommend a suitable one ? Not worried about cost - BMW driver typically i hear you say - as i've been paid yesterday ! - probably prefer a single carrier but willing to go to a 3 bike carrier if necessary. Do i go to Halfords and pick or can any of you suggest something different :?:

Cheers in advance for any suggestions
Work gets in the way of sport........

Comments

• powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Get one of these, they are the best.
    http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____45881.aspx

Halford sell them.
    You will need the roof bars to clamp it to, which Halford may also have, if not, then visit your BMW dealer and pay their price :shock:
  • Hi there.

If you really need a rack, then the roof mounted ones are best.

But do you really need one? Take the wheels off and shove them in the boot. If the frame doesn't fit in the boot then stick it on the backseat on top of an old sheet.

Cheers, Andy
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Actually Andy is right.
    I have two of the carriers I mentioned, and I nearly always put the bike upside down on the back seat, with the wheels behind each front seat.
    I very rarely use the carrier, although it is very secure and very easy. :wink: