Hydraulic Brake Upgrade

si-b
si-b Posts: 8
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Im new to the forum so wanted to say hi before I start asking for advice so "Hi"!

Anyhoo

I have recently bought a specialized hard rock with Hayes sole hydraulic brakes. I have run the bike for 2 months but have found the brakes to be a bit of a dissapointment (dont seem to have much more stopping power than my old v brakes!)

I think my question is "is there a way to upgrade just the caliper part of the brake system front and back or do I also need to buy leavers, rotors etc?"

or

"Am I a spoilt child who expects to much from a £360 bike? And should be more patient"

Thanks for the forum!

Cheers

Si

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Si yes the soles are not the best, but they may just need the inner "fixed" pad adjusting, Manuals are available to download from Hayes's webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I had soles on my GT, they were OK but I second what Nick says "not the best". I have since changed to 2007 XT Shimano brakes, so far they are in a different league to the soles.

I would recommend changing them, rather than fiddling about with bits and pieces on your existing brake set-up.
  • I've got soles on a much more expensive bike so imagine how i feel ;) i want to change asap but not got the money to afford it. i'm gonna be looking at formula oro brakes (for their performance) or some hope variants (for looks :D )
  • deore for cheap breaking, or oro for top drawer stuff
  • si-b
    si-b Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the replies

So am I right in thinking I need to change the complete braking system leavers and all???

Cheers
  • Neilio
    Neilio Posts: 60
    Just change it all, for the price of the Deore (rrp is £59) its not worth messing around trying to make your brakes work.
    Kona Caldera 08, hope, easton, SLX parts.

Kona Kilauea carbon, deciding spec.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Yup. If you want to upgrade, you need new levers the lot, which is how most hydraulic sets are sold.

Soles are a brake that you need to keep adjusting as they only have one piston that moves, not that good a brake really.

They're what I;'d expect on a £360 bike, or cable discs.

Deore = Great brakes for the money

Hope = Great brakes, but more expensive

Formula = dunno I've not used them, but folks are raving about them.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Yeah, I rode a hire bike with those brakes and they felt very much like Vs.

The Deores would be a good value update, or have a scout around for '07 LX or XT brakes also - which may be reduced to a similar level as new Deore.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Yeah, I rode a hire bike with those brakes and they felt very much like Vs.

The Deores would be a good value update, or have a scout around for '07 LX or XT brakes also - which may be reduced to a similar level as new Deore.
  • IF you don't want to spend out too much why not buy a new front brake where you'll likely notice the improvement more, then upgrade the rear after.

From teh reviews i've read the sole's are ok but need re-adjusting a lot- if they're still in good condition you can probably sell tehm for enough on ebay to cover half the new system

Go for this on teh front! http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=115