Wheels for a big fella

Mayhemwmb
Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
I am now into a regular cycle commute regime, the problem I have is I'm quite heavy (read 18 1/2 stone) I am currently using a planet x kaffenback frame with 700c wheels, I'm running 700 x 28c tyres, however I am having to true the wheels on a regular basis. Having sought advice from a lbs he advised me to try and find some touring type wheels that are designed to carry load. I have checked the clearance in the frame and could easily get away with 22mm wide rims, the bike is equiped with v brabes.
I average about 18mins over a 5 mile route,
Can anyone recommend a wheel that will be strong enough

Comments

• Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I cannot recommend a wheel, but first of all i would try a wider tyre to give a greater cushion of air between you and rim. When i switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, the smallest size was 700x25c (up from 23c i was running) and one positive side-effect of the larger tyre was not having that horrible 'bang' of rim on kerb.

Also look at your riding style - what are you hitting to knock the wheel out of true?
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I would think the regular truing is more a sign of the quality of your wheels, than of your weight.
  • cheers for the replies, just to add a little more - I ride using a mixture of road and cycle path, I'm mechanically sypathetic - I don't bash up and down kerbs, my aim is to ride as smoothly and quickly as possible. One particularly bad buckle was caused by hitting a pothole travelling home from late shift down an unlit country road, I accept that such incidents will cause me problems, however it is the day to day riding and subsequent trueing that's irritating, Can anyone give a spec of a good reliable wheel, (cost is a factor, however I would prefer to buy a good wheel the first time and not throw money away by continuing to have to replace wheels)