XC fork choice on a budget

XC.Chris
XC.Chris Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi all, lil back story, im 22 now, but from 15 - 18 had a Marin Alpine trail with full XT groupset, Avid SD 7 Brakes and Manitou Spider Forks, unfortunately i sold it but now im looking at getting back into XC riding.

I've been given a frame and am gonna use a Deore LX groupset, and possibly SD 7's again coz loved em on my old bike, but was wondering what forks to use??? Im not looking at doing any severe down hill stuff, but i did used to be an aggressive rider (see if i still have the stones to do it now!)

I'm trying to build a bike on a budget because if i do get back into it like i used to i'll be spending £1500 next yr, hopefully on a Rock Lobster Team Ti.

Many thanks
Chris

Comments

• I'm same situ. XC rider on a budget (even have the LX groupy)

I'm running mantinou super splice with lockout. am the third of my posse to use them and never heard a bad word about them. bout 1500grams when I put them on i think, and the version without lockout will be a little bit ligher.

all in all, good seals, smooth action, adjustable re-bount, 80-100mm and adjustable damping.

Few people ahve said in online reviews that the torsion bolt can ping out if hit with a stone, but I can't see how that's possible so I recon that's one disgruntled rider writing it several times.

Other bad thing is there are no V mounts but if you're running discies, then no probs
    Train hard, ride easy
  • What's your budget?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm same situ. XC rider on a budget (even have the LX groupy)

I'm running mantinou super splice with lockout. am the third of my posse to use them and never heard a bad word about them. bout 1500grams when I put them on i think, and the version without lockout will be a little bit ligher.

all in all, good seals, smooth action, adjustable re-bount, 80-100mm and adjustable damping.

Few people ahve said in online reviews that the torsion bolt can ping out if hit with a stone, but I can't see how that's possible so I recon that's one disgruntled rider writing it several times.

Other bad thing is there are no V mounts but if you're running discies, then no probs

1500g, are you sure? I thought they were at least 4.5lbs.
  • XC.Chris
    XC.Chris Posts: 4
    My budget is about £100, just over including headset. I think the head tube is 1inch rather than 1 1/8?

Many thanx
    Chris
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If so, that is going to severely limit your choice of fork.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Your choice is Marz mx comp IIRC, and PACE. I'd buy some carbon fibre rigids tbh, keep with your old school roots.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    supersonic wrote:
    I'm same situ. XC rider on a budget (even have the LX groupy)

Mine were nearer 5lbs.I removed mine and replaced them with Rebas.In a different league from the Splice.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481

4.5 pound = 2 .041 lbs

1 500 gram = 3.306 lbs

lbs and ounces.

grams and kilograms

education

education

education
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • they're no't light.

But not especially heavy
    Train hard, ride easy