stronglight chainrings

ancientbiker
ancientbiker Posts: 66
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Hi all

I've got a triple chainset and I'm replacing the rings, chain and cassette which are showing signs of wear. The two larger chainrings have small extra rivets on the inside faces to help lift the chain from the smaller rings onto the larger one. The Stronglight rings I'm thinking of fitting don't have these extra lifting teeth. Is this likely to be a problem? Will shifting up be more difficult without them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• bhm100
    bhm100 Posts: 102
    Hi,
    I've used stronglight rings for a while now, and can't really see a problem when they replace either shimano or campag rings. In fact at the 105 price level I reckon the stronglight rings are better made and longer lasting than shimano OEM.

But bear in mind I'm probably an old-fashioned cynic as I've never been that convinced about rivets below the chain line making significant differences to the change. If I move the lever and it changes instantly.... job's a good 'un !
  • Have also used loads of Stronglight rings through the years.
    Good stuf.
  • GIve Spa Cycles a ring and they will set you straight.I have allways changed the 42 middle on triples to a 39 and their TA Specialities rings are better made and finished than stronglights but they have both in their stocks.
  • hamstercp
    hamstercp Posts: 639
    They definitely aren't worse than Shimano which are so soft they seem to be made of cardboard.

Stronglight come in two types, Dural and Zicral. One is harder wearing than the other. Spa will know which.
    "It must be true, I saw it on the Internet!"