changing from threaded to threadless fork

Bagman
Bagman Posts: 311
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Hi Can anyone with more knowledge than I offer some advice? I have a titanium framed roadbike with a 1" threaded set up. I would like to change this to a threadless fork and headset and was looking at the Easton EC90 or Ouzo Pro, although I can't find anyone who can sell the 1" version of the Ouzo Pro
Firstly, is it a difficult job to change and secondly, what else do I need in terms of headset etc. Thirdly should I get a bike shop to do this - I am not incompetent but by no means an expert!
Thanks

Comments

• 1" Ouzo pro are on ebay if you look hard enough
    I got one there
    don't use it though as I prefer my Mizuno fork. they are just as expensive if you can find them but give a better ride(me thinks )

you will need an aheadset
    only need some tools to place the cups in the frame and some type of pipe tobang the headset on the fork
    other than that anybody can do it.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Remember that there are two different standards of '1 inch' headset. The crown race and cups are different sizes so are not interchangeable.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • different sizes so are not interchangeable

not quite sure what you mean by that
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I'd never heard of 2 standards for 1" headsets, so checked the bible at http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset and indeed there are actually 4 different standards - I'd suggest though that you're only likely to find one of those standards on a quality modern roadbike (and extremely unlikely to find a headset to fit any of the others) so it's not really an issue.

My question is why you want to upgrade - exactly what is it you're hoping to gain out of the exercise, as I don't see any big advantages to doing so?