Reynolds 531c or 753

swaman
swaman Posts: 110
edited March 2008 in Workshop
hi all

thanks for the suggestions and help regarding where to find a good steel frame, i have spent much of today phoning / emailing the suppliers you mentioned and have started this new thread to get advice

i now have two options, both good i think, but it leaves me with a difficult decision

i have an offer from a frame builder that has 531c tubes to build a complete bike with 531c frame and campag veloce for £750

i have also come across a brand new stock 753 frame from a very reputable builder with carbon forks exactly the right size i need for £400

any ideas which seems the best route to go

i know and like 531 but i also know that i used to hanker for a 753 but i have never rode one

suggestions / advise / experiences welcome

i will need to make a quick decision as each day that passes i am missing out on riding

Comments

• SDP
    SDP Posts: 665

had a raleigh special products lo pro ...

got real abuse for a few years & then i gave it to a newbie...its not been used for 10 years but still looks the part !

753 is a fantastic material if built well
  • swaman
    it will be well built, a dealer has a brand new Bob Jackson 753 and is discounting it as no one is buying steel anymore, which is good for me as I would not buy anything else

i have also come across a Columbus SLX frame in my size, newly built and £100 less, but obviously this will be a bit heavier, but then i am also too heavy !!!

I the only think about the 753 is it is white ? i know i should not let this put me off if it is such a good frame
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    IF the " Columbus SLX frame " is same spec as '80s stuff, then probably very nice! I've had two in SLX and I think my favourite steel.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    £400 seems a lot for 753.
    753 has been around since early eighties and I am pretty sure its just thinner section than 531 or 531c making it slightly lighter.
    Why not 853 ot 953?
    I bought a wiggle 853 second hand, immaculate, with ultegra and dura ace on, for £350.
    Try the classifieds on here, also in cycling weekly and even ebay.
  • swaman
    hi

i thought £400 was good value, i remember a frame would have cost more when 753 was first brought out many years ago, and a handbuilt reynolds frame of similar quality newer version tubing will cost £800/£900 now ?

also, i wont buy used, i never trusted to buy a used frame

i am definately going to decide on monday and make a phone call either way, the 531c and columbus slx i know as i have ridden, but i am guessing that the 753 will be equally as good if not better, and lighter
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I think 753 is a different alloy from 531 (isn't that what the numbers mean?). I know builders had to have a test before they built in 753 and I think they have to be silver soldered - or, at least, low temperature brazed.

I have a 653 frame which, I believe had a 753 rear triangle and it's fine. I think, if it were me and the price/size is right I'd go for the 753.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    753 is a heat treated version of 531
    this makes it harder so they can make the tubes thinner
    which means a lighter frame
    but a harsher ride
    Reynolds stop producing it in 2001
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You can get some very good deals second hand.
    I also recently bought a 753 customebike (for a friend just starting cycling) which was a ribble with a special effect paint job, crackle effect, blue white yellow,immaculate, with mavic open pro wheels and shimano dura ace gs (8 speed) this was £350.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Was chatting to the local bike shop owner on Friday who imports from Taiwan. He asked his frame chap out there about steel and was quoted £40 for an unpainted 531 but he won't get any built as he doesn't think he'll sell them.