Planet X bottle cage

Barney 2
Barney 2 Posts: 68
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Trying to get my head around the cost of carbon bottle cages, I know I don't need them but it would be a shame not to use carbon on a carbon bike!

Has any one got feed back on the Planet X cages do they actualy hold a full bottle firmly,
or can anyone recomend other sub £25 alternatives?

Thanks for you input

Comments

• Got two on my new bike and they're fine. For the price you can't fall off.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    arundel also make some very good, reasonably priced cages.

I got 2 planet X cages for £30 from their site for my new ride. it only listed matt finish on their site but via email was bale to get the gloss. for £30 for a pair i think they are very hard to beat.

i've had this bike out a few times now and over some roughish roads to test everything really. bottles seem secure when full.

dscn1149kt4.th.jpg
    click for full size image.
  • I have 2 of the Planet-X carbon cages on my bike (see pic) and they great.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have the Tackx Tao (?) - not carbon but cheap and if they're good enough for McEwen...
  • Thanks for your feed back and pics!
    The alternative i was considering the Tacx, cougie I have noticed too that the pro teams use them but wasn't sure it they have the carbon version or are not too worried about weight due to the minimum limit.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i have the campag centaur one that was bought for £24 inc bottle. (ribble)

they are a bit of an extravagance I have to say - I was doing a built with the centaur carbon groupset and was approaching a birthday - my wife managed to remember the cage and got it for me - i certainly wouldn't have bought it myself, but t looks great on the bike!
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've got a pair of these. Completely overkill and out of place on my Allez but did buy them with a new bike in mind* and they were only £25 a pair in the Edinburgh Bike sale.

* Having said that if I get Centaur/Centaur Carbon groupset on it I can easily see me getting a pair of Centaur or Chorus bottles for it.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    cougie wrote:
    I have the Tackx Tao (?) - not carbon but cheap and if they're good enough for McEwen...

Ditto, Tacx Tao for me, very light and strong, also dirt cheap at the moment on Probikekit....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gkerr4 wrote:
    i have the campag centaur one that was bought for £24 inc bottle. (ribble)

they are a bit of an extravagance I have to say - I was doing a built with the centaur carbon groupset and was approaching a birthday - my wife managed to remember the cage and got it for me - i certainly wouldn't have bought it myself, but t looks great on the bike!

I've got two of these, not the cheapest, but pretty good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Two planet x ones for me to. No complaints here and you are right, you just have to have carbon bottle cages on a carbon bike :D
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Have a couple of the non carbon Bontrager Race lite, but these look very nice

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Te ... rodID=2824
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I use one of those Bonty X-Lite carbon cages on my MTB where it works fine, so would be great for road use (still trying to decide between those or something a bit lighter for the new build).