Aching neck and shoulders...

Nuggs
Nuggs Posts: 1,804
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Being new to all this cycling lark, I thought that it would be my legs that were sore the day after a ride.

As it is, my legs feel fine. It's my neck and shoulders that are really stiff.

Is this just because I'm not used to the position on the bike, and my shoulders aren't used to it? Anyone else had the same thing?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I suffered a rather bad neck and shoulder injury playing rugby, so I had to be very careful with some aspects of bike fit.

The things I noticed that make a difference:

1. Is your saddle sloping forward? If it is, it's probably putting weight than you should have on your hands. Slope the saddle up a bit, it takes a few rides to get used to it, but it'll help.

2. Are your bars wide enough? If you bought a stock bike, you don't necessarily get the right size bars. I'm short but I've got wide shoulders, needing wider bars (46cm, but bikes for my size normally come with 42cm).

3. Is the reach right? If you have your arms locked out when on the hoods, the reach is too long.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Nuggs
    I suffered a rather bad neck and shoulder injury playing rugby, so I had to be very careful with some aspects of bike fit.

The things I noticed that make a difference:

1. Is your saddle sloping forward? If it is, it's probably putting weight than you should have on your hands. Slope the saddle up a bit, it takes a few rides to get used to it, but it'll help.

2. Are your bars wide enough? If you bought a stock bike, you don't necessarily get the right size bars. I'm short but I've got wide shoulders, needing wider bars (46cm, but bikes for my size normally come with 42cm).

3. Is the reach right? If you have your arms locked out when on the hoods, the reach is too long.
    Thanks Red - in answer:

1. Nope - you could put a spirit level on it.

2. Yes - they're not the standard bars, they were changed as part of my bikefitting.

3. Arms not locked. They have a gentle bend in them.

Maybe it's just that I need to get used to the position?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Nuggs wrote:
    1. Nope - you could put a spirit level on it.

Try angling it up a bit. It might feel a bit wierd at first, but you get used to it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Even if your set up is right, you can still develop aches and pains if you stay in the same position for any length of time, especially if you're tensed up. You should vary your position slightly as you ride, and I find it helps to have the occasional stretch as you go along.

But try to get your bike set up as good as possible to start with.
  • Do you have a visor on your helmet? I had one on mine at the begining of my cycling and found that because I had to look up a little more then without I was getting a neck ache. Took it off and it and things improved. Also, it takes time for your body to get used to cycling.
  • Nuggs
    Thanks all - I'll stop moaning and let my body get used to it!