Another newbie q's

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Recently got back into mtb'ing but lately been thinking about a road bike. Never done any proper road riding and think i've ridden a road bike once :shock: anyway was at a lbs and a Scott Speedster S20 cought my eye so just wondered what there like and also what should I be looking for in my first road bike.

Thanks

Simon.

Comments

• Hi Simon
    Welcome to the wonderful world of road cycling! I don't know specifically about the Scott Speedster; if you spend any amount of time on this forum you'll see that the entry level bikes that tend to get recommended again and again are:
    - Giant SCR series
    - Specialized Allez series
    - Focus Variado/Cayo

Things to look out for:
    - Frame: quality (of material and paint job) and riding position: do you want to be more relaxed (upright) or more 'sporty' (nose to the handlebars)
    - Quality of the components, esp groupsets (have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupset for a 'hierarchy of quality' for Shimano and Campag). Shimano 105 (on the Speedster) is a good, solid groupset.
    - Weight of the bike: easy to get hung up on, but worth bear it in mind.
    - if commuting or winter training, does it have the braze ons (fittings) for mudguards and rack?

I'm sure there's plenty more, but hope that's a useful start.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I don't know of I'd call a Focus Cayo a "entry level" bike, costing a peny off of a thousand pounds!!
  • fair point... :oops:

...though the Speedster s20 isn't far off that...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    fair point... :oops:

...though the Speedster s20 isn't far off that...

That because the Speedster is an overpriced big name brand!
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    That because the Speedster is an overpriced big name brand!

I got my s20 for £599 in the summer - not overpriced in my book! I think a certain rather large (mostly) online retailer is still selling the 2007 model cheap.

Scott may be a big brand but it comes highly recommended from me!
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    The Boardman Comp at £600 got a Cylcing Plus best buy award if you don't want to take the leap to the £1000 mark and are prepared to take your chances with Halfords.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • s1mon
    The one I have seen is an 07 and is reduced a fair bit thats why it caught my eye. It just looks nice, and it's reduced which is even better but as I say I have know idea on road bikes :oops:

Simon.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    s1mon wrote:
    The one I have seen is an 07 and is reduced a fair bit thats why it caught my eye. It just looks nice, and it's reduced which is even better but as I say I have know idea on road bikes :oops:

Simon.

Well, if it fits you and you can afford it, it look a decent bike. Shimano 105 is solid and reliable, carbon seat stays as well as fork and I think Shimano 550 wheels are decent as well. Remember that it doesn't have clearance or fittings for mudguards/rack if you were ever thinking of commuting on it etc. With anything if your not sure if you'd like it I'd suggest spending as little as possible (within reason) - what price is the LBS doing it? I see Evans have the 07 version for £799
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • s1mon
    Hi,

It's a little bit cheaper than Evans not by much but it's local(ish) shop plus I have bought from them before.

I can't see me ever wanting a rack or guards fitted and won't use it for commuting (can't fit my tools on it :lol: )

I've been looking at others, not keen on Specialized, like the Trek's but lots of £££'s Giant SCR's are nice esp the carbon ones but there too expensive but the Giant sport SCR1 is quite nice, but just looked at the Allez Elite (07) which is very nice and found it at some good prices.

Simon.
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Can't get the Speedster which my lbs has on offer as it's to big :( so I think I am going to go for a Giant but not sure which one :? made a list of one's I like,

SCR 1 (2008) Rode one felt nice, can't really compare it to anything else as I haven't ridden a road bike for years :?
    SCR C4 (2008) Not sure I like the frame on this where the top tube and bottom tube join into the head.
    TCR C3 (2008) Very nice but probably out of my price range and to be honest over the top for what I need.

SCR C4 (07) Again not sure on the frame like the (2008)
    TCR C3 (07) Very nice can be picked up at good price now the 08's are out

Any comments on the above ?

Thanks

Simon.
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Narrowed my choices down a bit,

SCR C4 (2007)
    SCR C4 (2008)
    SCR 1 (2008)

Does anyone know if the 2007 and 2008 have the same geometry ? and also does the normal scr have the same geometry as the scr carbon ?

Thanks

Simon.