80mm forks with v-brake mounts...

aphex2k
aphex2k Posts: 3,229
edited February 2008 in MTB buying advice
Suggestions on a postcard. Going on a 95 Zaskar.
Mark :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, a Zaskar, give me pics! ;-) The SID is super light, makes a good xc fork, but I'd think about a Reba for 200 quid. Light, stiff, adjustable. cheap, a great mix. As you know, I got a Skareb on my Zaskar which is alright. Good 2nd hand buy.
  • aphex2k
    edited February 2008
    you've seen my zaskar sonic! surely?

hmm. looking at the magura odur. the 85mm flavoured one has v-brake mounts and is 200 on crc. had revelations on my pace and was quite impressed with them. rebas would be spot on i guess - even better if i can get a set plus poploc for under 200 squids.

need new crank, shifters and bars. trying to shed a few pounds and turn the zaskar into the original hardcore hardtail it once was! also looking at ti seat posts too to get a bit of comfort in the back end (literally!)

having the common, or garden zaskar (non LE) means it's a bit heavier and like it's rider, is showing early signs of middle age spread. something im trying to combat!

see ya @ ukmtb sonic ;)
  • aphex2k

nice, but id prefer the new ones with 32mm stanchions... bit too pricey atm though.

rebas are the obvious choice but i like to look outside the box (magura odur 2008 seem good). sometimes my radical thinking works, sometimes i get stung!
  • supersonic
    I'm hovering about 22lbs, and our frames are nigh on identical from 96-97 (I thought yours was 97? Looks it to me!). I got a pair of P2s ready for a CX blaster, but this bike is like a chameleon - change my coulours every day!

Yep, looking at USE Ti posts as well. Kore stems. Club Roost bars... ah, the 90s ;-)
  • aphex2k
    i've got some red club roost bar ends, somewhere. they're battered, but still useable... bit TOO retro tho.

kore stems are nice. i got a RF Prodigy stem when wiggle had them for about a fiver. looks ok but it's silver, so even more need for a ti seat post! all to match.

also thinkin of getting rid of the arch rivals and getting some xtr v-brakes (but still using the speed dial 7 levers) good combo methinks.

2007 LX crank (maybe 08) think price wise the 07 is fine...

last but not least, a new saddle. got a bonty race saddle on and it's not comfy (mind you, that may change with a ti post!)

going to bed.... uni at 9 and im on a MAPA course (like C&R but better...) need some kip.

ciao!!!
  • supersonic
    Keep the Speeddails.. just the best brake lever ever.

I got the older LX octalink. which is actually lighter, and bearings seem to be better (are better - fozz mode ;-))
  • aphex2k
    oh yer, will keep the dials.... bargain that they were. £7 a pair from on-one when they haed a clear out last year.

crank wise id love an rs7 or rs8 setup with some hardcoat rings anodised gold.. mmm.... not in my budget tho and i think, as you say, the lx (last years) will probs do fine and i can ugrade to middleburn rings as the shimano chocolate ones die.

gonna keep my retro xtr rear mech (and the kcnc pimpy jockeys) and go for some new 9 speed xt shifters.

ooh... so lookin forward to this build up!
  • supersonic
    The older shimano ones seem to be ok... and this set up is stiffer than a RS7/8 and square taper too (keeping with the Zaskar style!)
  • aphex2k
    hmm... not that easy tracking down an lx square taper. have seen the 07 lx chainset and bb for 50 quid which is pretty darn good. im sure i could get it cheaper than that with a bit of effort...

had another random thought. im tempted to strip the paint, get a new decal set and ask a car body shop place to laquer the frame. really well polished and nicely finished. got a big can of nitro mors... now when's my next free day?......
  • supersonic
    If you get the frame polished, and lacqwuer it with the original 91 deacls, it will double the value of it!
  • aphex2k
    the stripping a polishing i can do. as with the decals.

i reckon a nice pro car sprayer will lacquer the frame for twenty quid tops. mmmmmm......