No laughing at the back!

teacherman
teacherman Posts: 454
edited February 2008 in MTB general
Right, here goes.

A year and a half ago i decided to get back into riding. My missus (bless her heart) bought me a Diamond Back S10 full susser off e-bay for £80 (I thought I told you not to laugh!) 'cos it looked good :roll:

Only rode it once but since stripping all the crap kit off it the other day I was quite impressed with how light it was.

Thinking of trawling e-bay and doing a budget build for £150 tops 'cos I've got the forks and wheels sitting in the shed doing nothing.

What do people think? Waste of time? Any advice appreciated.
I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf

Comments

• What style fs? Could you singlespeed it for giggles and jump work, crank the hell out of the shock to really stiffen it up and make a silly play bike.
  • Would just be looking to use it as a trail bike really. Jumping aint my bag baby. If I like the whole FS experience may sell the wife and kids for something shiny & new.

Don't even know how much travel it has! Can't find the info anywhere even on DB's website! They're only £200 ish new :lol:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • teacherman wrote:
    What do people think? Waste of time?

Not if you like riding it.

Perfect opportunity to build a pure 'thrash' bike,assuming the frame can take a bit (which,lets be honest,most can these days),something to have a laugh on and not cry when bits get broken.
    Maybe something to take out on those 'knee deep in mud' days to save the glitzy rig from getting covered in a grinding,horrible paste..

If you want to do it and can do it on a low budget then I see no reason not to?

Considered buying something along those lines meself at one point because I was determined to do a cliff jump into a deep river pool but didn't want to risk my lovely Trek.
    Didn't get around to that unfortunately,and am older and wiser now (well,older anyway :wink: ).
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Yep i was thinking along those lines. I commute to work sometimes and at 6.00am in the half light through rock gardens and small drops (yeah my commute is awesome) is going to break something one of these days!

Plus I can do a build that if i screw things up - hey who cares 8)

The frame looks tough enough to take a battering - It's just roughly finished.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Let us know what bits you got, and what you need!
  • Hi Sonic,

Got: Frame (obv), wheels, stem, bars, forks, seatpost and saddle.

Need: Brakes, F&R mechs, whole new drivetrain basically, cables and routing and such.

Trawling through e-bay it seems you can pick up LX level stuff for next to nothing althouh I'm obviously wary of buying second hand chainsets 'cos of wear etc.
  • Got an (OEM presumably) Icon crankset with very low mileage you can have,square taper but hardly used and have the BB too,along with an 11/32 cassette and chain and what at a glance appears to be a 34.9 gold Hope QR seat clamp.
    Oh,and a pair of Crank Bros Acid clipless pedals and cleats :lol:

No mechs kicking around though :lol:

• Is that Icon as in what Trek used to spec on their bikes a few years ago? They made some pretty light and pretty cool looking stuff.

You got a price in mind? Let me know - am interested! Cheers 8)
  • teacherman wrote:
    Is that Icon as in what Trek used to spec on their bikes a few years ago?

Yup yup,and you have a PM mate.