Broken Chainring & replacement advice

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
I did this yesterday!

Not sure whether I should get something different to replace so it doesn't happen again. Should this be a warrenty replacement on a bike thats only 2 months and less than a thousand miles old?

Can I fit other brand of chainrings on this chainset? Any advice? Its got a PCD of 110.

Would it be worth while to change the chainset to a Shimano 105 hollowtech one to match the rest of the 105 componentary? I assume I'd need a new BB as well?

Cheers.

brokenchainring.jpg

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Any chainring of the same BCD will be OK. When I had a transmission change I went to Stronglight on my 105 splined C/set.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Warranty for two months old - never ever had any chain ring fail, no matter how old - you've not bashed it though ?. 110 PCD is standard, and can get replacements anywhere.......
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Take it back to the shop. After two months of use it should not break like that. If LBS won,t replace it then insist that they send it back to manufacurers. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • milese
    It broke when I got out of the pedals to put some power down. Not been bashed, and I wasn't changing gear or anything.

The problem with the warrenty is that I bought it mail order, and need to get it fixed asap. I'll try going back to them and see what they say.

Any links for replacements please? I cant find any.
  • Spa cycles is good for replacement chainrings .
    Luke
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Warranty job. Try emailing them your digiphoto and see what they say ?

If you want to buy, here's a couple to start with
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K8010
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18488
    but yes, you'll want 50t 110BCD 5-bolt and any should fit
  • milese
    Cheers Andy.

I emailed Giant and they replied telling me to take it to my local Giant dealer. So I did, who, slightly ashamedly I took advice from before buying mail order. They obviously remembered this, but were still good and are going to sort it out for me. Giant only cover the parts not labour, so I'm going to have to pay for that.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Milese wrote:
    Cheers Andy.

I emailed Giant and they replied telling me to take it to my local Giant dealer. So I did, who, slightly ashamedly I took advice from before buying mail order. They obviously remembered this, but were still good and are going to sort it out for me. Giant only cover the parts not labour, so I'm going to have to pay for that.

I admire your brass face. I don't think I could have done that after taking their time to get advice and then going elsewhere to spend my money.

I've never experienced nor heard of that sort of failure of a chain ring. It must be extremely rare - or manufacturers are taking weight saving a bit too far.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Milese wrote:
    Cheers Andy.

Whilst labour shouldn't be very much, your redress is via the original vendor (irrespective of warranty) and neither shipping or labour should be payable. Of course I understand that for convenience it is probably better to pay up. On the other hand, this failure could have been lethal, or at least extremely painful, and I think I would be protesting to Giant on grounds of safety and would expect an upgrade fitted free of charge under the circumstances.

Damn, it even says "Powerglide" on it, that should probably read "Low Powerglide only!"
  • disney
    disney Posts: 51
    Just changed the same elita rings .Keep the same crank. You can fit a new ring in 5 minutes or less.Put the bike on its side and use the 2 different size allen keys to fit each side of the ring and turn tne outer(normal thread) use gloves as the rings are very sharp.
  • milese
    I felt like a complete knob taking it to my LBS. At the end of the day I did offer them my business but they wouldn't reduce the bike enough. Money talks with me, and as a consequence I'm left with issues like these. Me and My Dad especially spend a lot with them so they cant really complain too much, I also spent £30 in the shop when I was there so they still make money out of me.

They phoned Giant quoting my frame number and Giant said that my bike was originally fitted with a triple and that either myself or the retailer had changed it for a double, saying no SCR 1.0's were fitted with a double.

My LBS reckon I got it so cheap because the retailer had stripped it of the triple for another bike. I know that my bike came from Giant with the double, as its the spring edition, and i've seen the same spec quoted on a few websites. So anyway, I phoned Ash Cycles who I bought it from, they said if I post the chainring to them they'll replace it under the warrenty. So I've got the bike back and the chainring is in the post.