Vitargo/carnitine study - volunteers needed (Nottingham area

BenWall
BenWall Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in Pro race
My name is Ben and I am a postgraduate student in the school of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Nottingham. I am currently recruiting volunteers in the Nottingham area for an exercise study investigating the effects of prolonged (6 months) carnitine/carbohydrate supplementation on fuel selection during prolonged exercise, and exercise performance.

I am looking for healthy, non smoking, non-vegetarian, males who train regularly, aged between 18 and 40. The study would involve not taking any supplements throughout the study, other than that which are provided (6 months of Vitargo with or without L-carnitine); and would mean abstaining from strenuous exercise for 48 hours before each visit, and alcohol for 24 hours before each visit.

Briefly, before the main part of the study begins, you would be required to come in for a general health screening and a short exercise test to assess fitness, another visit to confirm the result of the test and a familiarisation visit to run through the experimental procedure. The main experiment then involves visiting the lab for 3 exercise visits over 6 months where you would be asked to cycle for 90 mins and we would take breath samples, blood samples and small muscle samples from your thigh. In addition, we would ask you to come in 2 more times throughout the 6 months just to provide a small blood sample. Throughout the 6 months you will be provided with daily (2 per day) carbohydrate (VITARGO) suppplements to drink (with or without L-carnitine).

We provide an inconvenience allowance on completion of the study and I am happy to share any data (VO2max etc.) that you wish. Please contact me if you're interested and i can provide you with more details and/or we can arrange a time for you to come in to discuss the study further.

email: mbxbw@nottingham.ac.uk

Regards,

Ben Wall.

Comments

• Apologies if you've already tried this, but you'll probably find a few takers at www.nubike.com although maybe not if they have to stop drinking for a day... :lol:
  • Ha! Yeah I have sent them the information also, and I think a couple of their members may be getting involved. Thank you very much for the tip though.