Struggling getting away at the lights!

Eat My Dust
Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
it's a bugger when you're back brakes keep jamming on!!!!

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    My left front brake keep s getting stuck on the rim at the moment and I'm b****d if I can work out why.

Seriously considering getting new brake arms, the ones on mine are a bit cheapy and don't work in a "keep the block parallel to the rim" way.

I think this is compunded by the ridiculous rim wear indicator in my mavic front rim, which as far as I can tell is simply there to wear a ridge into the brake blocks so when you adjust them you're braking on about 2mm² of rubber until a new ridge is worn.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    it's a bugger when you're back brakes keep jamming on!!!!

Disconnect it! Most of your stopping power is at the front anyway. Rear brake is only useful for sliding sideways upto junctions on the cycle paths to scare the drivers :D
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've only been using the front ones this week with the occassional tweek of the rear ones when I've needed to stop sharpish. It's hard not having to use your back brakes on 26 mile commute with 2 hills that you can reach 40 mph on!! It's going into the LBS tomorrow for a overhaul so should be OK next week!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I've never had problems with my brakes :shock:

I did spill cider into my keyboard last week though.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I rode with V-Brakes, I replaced the front pads something like 2.5x as often as the rears, got into the bad habit of doing stoppies at lights or solely using my front brake slowing from way too fast, 20+ mph.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    This usually happens to my rear brake during the winter.

I take it completely apart - clean and then rebuild and it's perfect again..