Security???

david28
david28 Posts: 9
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi all.

I posted a message a few days ago enquiring about what bike I should buy to commute to work on. Thanks for everyone that replied.

Now that I know how much money it is going to cost me, £200, I'm questioning how much I should fork out on security.

I am planning on storing it in the backyard. I live in Liverpool so its probably going to get knicked but I want to make them work hard for it :D

I'll need a ground anchor because I've got nothing I can strap it too and I obviously need some sort of lock.

Considering how much I am paying for the bike what advice would you give me on security. I probably will take out insuarnce as well because its only going to be about £3 a month.

Cheers

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Try chainreaction for some of their locks - the onguard ones are quite reasonable and are gold rated - I use an onguard chain which is gold rated and weighs about 9 lbs, and a Magnum (onguard) gold d-lock - the chain stays at work, the d-lock is transported.

Get as good a lock as you can. If using d-locks make sure when you lock it that there is as little room as possible to put a 'bottle jack' between each side of the lock - i.e. put the lock through the rear triangle and detatch your front wheel and place through the lock as well.

Get a cheap bike cover to keep it dry.
  • Lots of advise on bike security - particularly enjoyed the 'How to foil bike thieves' link:
    http://www.bikeforall.net/linkcat.php?cid=137
    I recall reading somewhere that you should spend around 10-20% of the bike cost on security.
  • It's worth checking on your home contents insurance policy. Most cover bikes (upto a certain value) if they are at home, shed, etc. Stand alone cycle insurance seems to be very expensive compared to home contents. £3 a month to cover a £200 bike (minus the excess, probably £50) verses £12 a month to cover £40,000 home contents.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.